Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of Appendix D of IBC are adopted by reference with the following modifications:
1. Throughout the provisions adopted by reference, replace the term “fire district” with “fire limits.”
2. Revise Section D101.1 to read:
The fire limits shall include that portion of the city bounded by: Division Street; Lake Michigan; the Stevenson Expressway; the CTA red line right-of-way; Cermak Road; the Metra SouthWest Service right-of-way; the South Branch of the Chicago River; 16th Street; the Dan Ryan Expressway; Roosevelt Road; Halsted Street, the Eisenhower Expressway; Ashland Avenue; Ogden Avenue; Hubbard Street; the Kennedy Expressway; Ogden Avenue; Chicago Avenue; North Halsted Street; and the North Branch Canal.”
3. Delete Sections D101.1.1.
4. Delete Section D101.2 and its subsections.
5. Revise Section D102.1 to read:
“D102.1 Types of construction permitted.
Within the fire limits every building hereafter erected shall be either Type IA, IB, IIA, IIIA or IV, except as permitted in Section D105.”
6. Delete Section D102.2.5.
7. Revise Section D102.2.6 to read:
“D102.2.6 Exterior walls.
Exterior load-bearing walls of Type IIA buildings and, where permitted, Type IIB buildings shall have a fire- resistance rating of 2 hours or more where such walls have a fire separation distance of 30 feet (9144 mm) or less. Where allowed by Section D105, exterior nonload-bearing walls of Type IIB buildings located within 30 feet (9144 mm) of an abutting property line or an assumed property line shall have fire-resistance ratings as required by Table 601, but not less than 1 hour. Exterior walls located more than 30 feet (9144 mm) from an abutting property line or an assumed property line shall comply with Table 601.
Exception: In the case of one-story buildings that are 2,000 square feet (186 m2) or less in area, exterior walls located more than 15 feet (4572 mm) from an abutting property line or an assumed property line need only comply with Table 601.”
8. Add new Section D126.96.36.199 to read:
“D188.8.131.52 Exterior walls of Type IIB, VA and VB construction.
Where allowed by Section D105, exterior walls of buildings of Type IIB, VA and VB construction shall be located to provide a fire separation distance of not less than 3 feet (914 mm). Where the fire separation distance is 6 feet (1829 mm) or less, the exterior wall shall have a fire-resistance rating of 1 hour or greater.”
9. Revise Section D102.2.7 to read:
Projections extending beyond the exterior wall on buildings located in the fire limits shall be constructed of noncombustible materials.”
10. Revise Section D102.2.8 to read:
“D102.2.8 Permanent canopies.
Permanent canopies are permitted to extend over adjacent open spaces provided that all of the following are met:
1. The canopy and its supports shall be of noncombustible material.
Exception: Any textile covering for the canopy shall be flame resistant as determined by tests conducted in accordance with NFPA 701 after both accelerated water leaching and accelerated weathering.
2. Any canopy covering, other than textiles, shall have a flame spread index not greater than 25 when tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723 in the form intended for use.
3. The canopy shall have at least one long side open.
4. The horizontal width of the canopy shall be not greater than 15 feet (4572 mm).
5. The fire-resistance rating of exterior walls shall not be reduced.”
11. Revise Section D102.2.9 to read:
“D102.2.9 Rooftop structures.
Rooftop structures, except aerial supports 12 feet (3658 mm) high or less shall be of noncombustible material and shall be supported by construction of noncombustible material.”
12. Revise the title of Section D103 to: “CHANGES TO BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES.”
13. Revise Section D103.1 to read:
“D103.1 Existing buildings and structures within the fire limits.
An existing building shall not be increased in building height or building area unless it is of a type of construction permitted for new buildings within the fire limits or is altered to comply with the requirements for such type of construction. An existing structure, other than a building, shall not be altered so as to increase its degree of nonconformity.”
14. Delete Section D104.
15. Revise Section D105.1 to read:
Nothing in this appendix shall prohibit within the fire limits, subject to the specified limitations, the erection of new buildings or structures, nor the enlargement of existing buildings or structures, nor the use of wood or other combustible veneers, as follows:
1. Temporary tents, canopies, platforms, stages reviewing stands and similar structures.
2. Trailers used in connection with duly authorized construction.
3. A detached private garage, not more than one story and 12 feet (3658 mm) in height, nor more than 500 square feet (60 m2) in area, located on the same lot with a building of Group R-5 occupancy.
4. Fences not over 10 feet (3048 mm) above adjoining grade.
5. Coal and material bins, water towers and trestles of Type IV construction.
6. Water tanks and cooling towers conforming to Sections 1510.3 and 1510.4.
7. Weather-protected entries not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) high and not more than 50 square feet (4.6 m2) in area.
8. Greenhouses less than 15 feet (4572 mm) high and less than 400 square feet (37.2 m2) in area.
9. Porches not over one story in height, and not over 10 feet (3048 mm) wide from the face of the building, provided that such porch does not come within 3 feet (914 mm) of any abutting property line and is not joined to more than one building.
10. Sheds open on a long side not over 15 feet (4572 mm) high and 400 square feet (37.2 m2) in area.
12. Wood or other combustible veneers on exterior walls conforming to Section 1404.5, not extending above the first story above grade plane.
13. Fire-retardant treated wood veneers conforming to Section 1404.5 not extending above the second story above grade plane.
14. Single-story buildings of Type IIB construction not exceeding 5,000 square feet (465 m2) in area. Exterior walls with a fire separation distance of less than 30 feet (9144 mm) shall have a fire- resistance rating of not less than 1 hour.
15. Roofs over parking lots and bus stations of Type IIB construction where the roof is at least 10 feet (3048 mm) above the floor and every 40 feet (12.2 m) there is an open roof ventilation area at least 6 feet (1829 mm) wide extending either the full length of the roof or the full width of the roof.”
16. Delete Section D106.
(Amend Coun. J. 2-19-20, p. 14473, Art. II, § 104)