Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of Section 1408 of IBC are adopted by reference with the following modifications:
1. Revise Section 1408.1 to read:
The provisions of this section shall govern the materials, construction and quality of High-Pressure Decorative Exterior-Grade Compact Laminates (HPL) for use as exterior wall coverings in addition to other applicable requirements of Chapters 14 and 16.”
2. Revise Section 1408.5 to read:
Results of tests or an engineering analysis shall be submitted to the building official with the construction documents to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of Chapter 16 for wind loads.”
3. Revise Section 1408.7 by deleting “approved.”
4. Revise Section 1408.10.2 by replacing “an approved” with “a.”
5. Revise Section 1408.10.3 by replacing “is specifically approved based on” with “has passed.”
6. Revise Section 1408.11 and its subsections to read:
“1408.11 Alternate conditions.
Where approved by the building official, HPL and HPL systems shall not be required to comply with Section 1408.10.4 provided that such systems comply with Section 1408.11.1.
1408.11.1 Installations up to 40 feet in height.
HPL shall not be installed more than 40 feet (12 190 mm) in height above grade plane where installed in accordance with Sections 1408.11.1.1 and 1408.11.1.2.
1408.11.1.1 Fire separation distance of 15 feet or less.
Where the fire separation distance is 15 feet (4572 mm) or less, the area of HPL shall not exceed 10 percent of the exterior wall surface.
1408.11.1.2 Fire separation distance greater than 15 feet.
Where the fire separation distance is greater than 15 feet (4572 mm), the area of exterior wall surface coverage using HPL shall not be limited.”
7. Delete Section 1408.11.2 and its subsections.
8. Revise Section 1408.13 to read:
“1408.13 Foam plastic insulation.
HPL systems containing foam plastic insulation shall comply with the requirements of Section 2603.”