Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of Section 1402 of IBC are adopted by reference with the following modifications:
1. Delete exception 2 and its subparts to Section 1402.2.
2. Revise Section 1402.4 by replacing “Exterior walls” with “Exterior walls, including fire-resistant joint systems,”.
3. Revise Section 1402.5 to read:
“1402.5 Vertical and lateral flame propagation.
Exterior walls on buildings of Type I, II, III or IV construction that are greater than 40 feet (12 192 mm) in height above grade plane and contain a combustible water-resistive barrier or air barrier shall be tested in accordance with and comply with the acceptance criteria of NFPA 285. For the purposes of this section, fenestration products, flashing of fenestration products and flashing and accessories at other locations, including through-wall flashings, shall not be considered part of the water-resistive barrier.
1. Walls in which the water-resistive barrier or air barrier required by the Chicago Energy Conservation Code is the only combustible component and the exterior wall has an exterior wall covering of brick, concrete, stone, terracotta, stucco or steel with minimum thicknesses in accordance with Table 1404.2.
2. Walls in which the water-resistive barrier or air barrier required by the Chicago Energy Conservation Code is the only combustible component and the water-resistive barrier or air barrier required by the Chicago Energy Conservation Code has a peak heat release rate of less than 150 kW/m2, a total heat release of less than 20 MJ/m2 and an effective heat of combustion of less than 18 MJ/kg as determined in accordance with ASTM E1354 and has a flame spread index of 25 or less and a smoke-developed index of 450 or less as determined in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723. The ASTM E1354 test shall be conducted on specimens at the thickness intended for use, in the horizontal orientation and at an incident radiant heat flux of 50 kW/m2.”
4. Delete Sections 1402.6 and 1402.7.
5. Add a new Section 1402.8 to read:
“1402.8 Energy conservation.
Exterior walls shall meet additional performance requirements found in the Chicago Energy Conservation Code.”
(Amend Coun. J. 2-19-20, p. 14473, Art. II, § 62)