Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of Section 1028 of IBC are adopted by reference with the following modifications:
1. Revise exception 1.3 to Section 1028.1 by deleting “approved.”
2. Add a new exception 4 to Section 1028.1 to read:
“4. Up to 100 percent of the number, minimum width, and required capacity of interior exit stairways and exterior exit ramps is permitted to egress through areas on the level of exit discharge provided that all of the following conditions are met:
4.1. Discharge of interior exit stairways and exterior exit ramps shall be provided with a free and unobstructed path of travel to at least two exterior exit doors and such exits are readily visible and identifiable from the point of termination of the enclosure.
4.2. The entire area of the level of exit discharge is separated from areas below by construction conforming to the fire-resistance rating for the enclosure.
4.3. The building is protected throughout by an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
4.4. Means of egress components are separated in accordance with Exception 1.4.”
3. Revise Section 1028.3 to read:
“1028.3 Exit discharge components.
Exterior exit discharge components shall be sufficiently open to the atmosphere so as to minimize the accumulation of smoke and toxic gases.”
4. Revise Section 1028.4.1 by replacing "Group R-3 and U occupancies" with "Group R-3, R-5 and U occupancies and Group R-2 occupancies in buildings with no more than 4 stories above grade plane."
5. Revise exception 2 to Section 1028.4.2 by replacing “Group R-3” with “Group R-3 or R 5.”
(Amend Coun. J. 2-19-20, p. 14473, Art. II, § 52)