Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of Section 1003 of IBC are adopted by reference with the following modifications:
1. Revise Section 1003.3.1 to read:
Protruding objects are permitted to extend below the minimum ceiling height required by Section 1003.2 where a minimum headroom of 80 inches (2032 mm) is provided over any circulation paths, including walks, corridors, aisles and passageways. Not more than 50 percent of the ceiling area of a means of egress shall be reduced in height by protruding objects.
A barrier shall be provided where the vertical clearance above a circulation path is less than 80 inches (2032 mm) high above the finished floor. The leading edge of such a barrier shall be located 27 inches (686 mm) maximum above the finished floor.
1. Door closers and stops that project no more than 4 inches (102 mm) shall not reduce headroom to less than 78 inches (1981 mm).
2. Spaces within dwelling units and sleeping units, other than Accessible units and Type A units, and means of egress from a single unit shall comply with Section 1207.”
2. Revise Section 1003.4 to read:
“1003.4 Slip-resistant surface.
Circulation paths of the means of egress shall have a slip-resistant surface that is securely attached.
Exception: Where a mat is used on a temporary or seasonal basis, the mat shall be securely attached or have a backing designed to be non-slip.”
3. Revise the last sentence of Section 1003.5 before the exceptions to read:
“Where a ramp is used for a difference in elevation that is 6 inches (152 mm) or less, it shall be equipped with either handrails or floor finish materials that contrast with adjacent floor finish materials.”
4. Revise exceptions 1 and 2 to Section 1003.5 to read:
“1. A single step with a maximum riser height of 8 inches (203 mm) is permitted at exterior doors not required to be accessible by Chapter 11 in Groups F, H, R-2, R-3, R-5, S and U.
2. A stair with a single riser or with two risers and a tread is permitted at locations not required to be accessible by Chapter 11 where the risers and treads comply with Section 1011.5, the minimum depth of the tread is 13 inches (330 mm) and a handrail is provided in accordance with Section 1014.”
5. Revise Section 1003.7 to read:
“1003.7 Elevators, escalators and moving walks.
Elevators, escalators and moving walks shall not be used as a component of a required means of egress.
Exception: Elevators used as an accessible means of egress in accordance with Section 1009.4.”
(Amend Coun. J. 2-19-20, p. 14473, Art. II, § 39)