Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1. No person shall do any plumbing, gas fitting, extensions, connection of fixtures or repairs to any gas fitting in the city, except a state-licensed and locally-registered plumber. Any person desiring to engage in the business of plumbing or plumbing contracting shall first register with the office of the City Clerk-Treasurer. All registrant shall be state-licensed and furnish copy of liability insurance and workman’s compensation insurance coverage.
2. The initial registration fee shall be $300. Renewal registration fee shall be $50 per year.
3. All persons, firm, partnership, corporations or individuals, engaged or hereafter engaging, in the business of installing, electrical fixtures, wiring or apparatus in or on any building within the city, shall register with the office of the City Clerk-Treasurer before they may engage in said activities. All registrants shall be state-licensed and furnish copy of liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance coverage.
4. The initial registration fee shall be $300. Renewal registration fee shall be $50 per year.
5. All persons in the business of mechanical contracting, such as, designing, assembling, erecting, constructing, installing, altering, servicing, repairing or maintaining refrigeration, air conditioning, heating and/or ventilation systems in the city must first register with the office of the City Clerk-Treasurer. All registrants must be state-licensed and furnish copy of liability insurance and workman’s compensation insurance coverage.
6. The initial registration fee shall be $300. Renewal registration fee shall be $50 per year.
7. It shall be unlawful for any person to erect, move, add to, or structurally alter any building or other structure upon any lot or parcel of land within the city; must first register as a building contractor, with the office of the City Clerk-Treasurer. All registrants must be state-licensed and furnish copy of liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance coverage.
a. A building contractor’s registration certificate is not required by persons who have a valid certificate for other specialized trades required by this code and provided the work performed falls under the requirements of that certification.
b. Resident owners of property are not required to obtain a building contractor’s registration certificate when performing work on their own property provided the work is performed by the owner, except for required specialized trade contractors who hold a valid certificate from the city. This exemption does not relieve the owner from obtaining a building permit as required by this code.
8. The initial registration fee shall be $100. The renewal registration fee shall be $50 per year.
9. Every person owning, leasing, operating or in possession of any building or structure within the city shall permit the Municipal Building Inspector to enter such building or structure as often as it shall be deemed necessary by said Inspector for the purpose of discharging any duties prescribed by this section, and it shall be unlawful for any owner, occupant or lessee of any premises to prevent or to refuse to permit such entry. Said Inspector shall, upon request of the owner, occupant or lessee of any premises, exhibit the authority to make such entry.
10. The Municipal Building Inspector shall not approve any application for contractor’s registration until he or she is satisfied that said contractor has obtained public liability insurance that shall indemnify the city and public in the amounts of not less than $5,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident; or in an amount not less than $10,000 for personal injury or death or more than one person in any one accident; or $1,000 for property damages; all arising out of work to be performed under said registration.
11. The Municipal Building Inspector may revoke or suspend the registration of any person, persons or corporation convicted of any violation of this chapter, or for any of the following reasons:
a. Willful fraud or misrepresentation practiced in procuring or renewing any registration or license;
c. Gross incompetency;
d. Conduct likely to, or intended to, deceive or defraud the public;
e. The loaning of any license, registration or permit to any person or persons for any reason whatsoever;
f. The obtaining of compensation by fraud or misrepresentation;
g. The willful advertising or publishing, or otherwise making known, of any grossly false, fraudulent or misleading statements of business skill, knowledge or methods of operation;
h. The construction, design, installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of any refrigeration or air conditioning equipment in such a manner as to be detrimental to the safety, health or welfare of the general public;
i. For any misconduct in the use of a registration or transaction thereunder; or
j. For the violation or disregard of any regulations of the city.
12. If, in the performance of any work under this chapter, the contractor finds that, on account of the mechanical construction of the building, location of fixtures, or some other reason, it would be impossible to abide by the letter of this chapter, the Municipal Building Inspector may be asked for a variance, by stating reasons for any changes and setting forth the conditions, with a statement of the desire to request exceptions to the provisions of this chapter for the particular job. If said Inspector finds that the conditions warrant and that it would be impractical and unreasonable to require strict conformance, a special ruling may be made, to safeguard life and property, on the proposed work. In all such cases, persons engaged in such work or installation, and holding registration under this chapter, shall be notified in writing of the decision.