16-26.6   Disturbing the Peace.
   It shall be unlawful for any person or persons in a residential area within the City of Boston to disturb the peace by causing or allowing to be made any unreasonable or excessive noise, including but not limited to such noise resulting from the operation of any radio, phonograph or sound related producing device or instrument, or from the playing of any band or orchestra, or from the use of any device to amplify the aforesaid noise, or from the making of excessive outcries, exclamations, or loud singing or any other excessive noise by a person or group of persons, or from the use of any device to amplify such noise provided, however, that any performance, concert, establishment, band, group or person who has received and maintains a valid license or permit from any department, board or commission of the City of Boston authorized to issue such license or permit shall be exempt from the provisions of this section. Unreasonable or excessive noise shall be defined as noise measured in excess of 50 dBa between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. or in excess of 70 dBa at all other hours when measured not closer than the lot line of a residential lot or from the nearest affected dwelling unit. The term dBa shall mean the A-weighted sound level in decibels, as measured by a general purpose sound level meter complying with the provisions of the American National Standards Institute, “Specifications for Sound Level Meters (ANSI S1.4 1971)”, properly calibrated, and operated on the “A” weighting network.
   Any person aggrieved by such disturbance of the peace may complain to the police about such unreasonable or excessive noise. The police, in response to each complaint, shall verify by use of the sound level meter described herein that the noise complained of does exceed the limit described herein and if so, may thereupon arrest and/or make application in the appropriate court for issuance of a criminal complaint for violation of M.G.L. c. 272, S. 53, which sets forth the penalties for disturbing the peace.
(Ord. 1986 c.19 §§ 1, 2 [354e]; Ord. 1991 c. 4 § 2) Penalty, see subsection 16-32.6