Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Except as otherwise provided in this article, the C-3 zone regulations shall be applicable to any hotel development under this article.
B. Hotels may not be developed on lots which abut or are separated only by an alley from the R-1 zones.
C. Hotels developed outside of that triangular area bounded by Wilshire Boulevard, South Santa Monica Boulevard, and the alley between Crescent Drive and Cañon Drive shall be restricted as follows:
1. Public assembly areas shall be prohibited.
2. The maximum capacity of any separate public meeting room shall not exceed one-third (1/3) of the number of guestrooms in the hotel.
3. The aggregate maximum capacity of all restaurants shall not exceed the number of guestrooms in the hotel, except that in commercial districts located outside of the business triangle, the aggregate maximum capacity of all restaurants shall not exceed one and one-half (1.5) times the number of guestrooms. Restaurants and dining in nonconforming hotels located in the R-4 zone shall also be subject to the provisions set forth in section 10-3-1207, "Dining In Nonconforming Hotels", of this chapter.
4. The maximum number of floors shall not exceed four (4) provided the height limitation set forth in subsection 10-3-2726A of this chapter is maintained.
D. With respect to hotel facilities located within the triangular area bounded by Wilshire Boulevard, South Santa Monica Boulevard, and the alley between Crescent Drive and Cañon Drive, the following provisions shall apply:
1. The floor area, whether permitted by the provisions of this chapter or by the provisions of prior applicable law, of a legally nonconforming hotel facility may be increased by not more than fifteen percent (15%), provided that in connection with such increase, the following conditions are satisfied:
a. At least fifteen percent (15%) of the total floor area, inclusive of the increased area, is street level retail space added to the hotel facility;
b. A finding is made in the approval of a conditional use permit that, because of the location of the hotel, the addition of the retail space will promote the retail character of the area, and will be compatible with and enhance the retail uses in the immediate vicinity by attracting and serving potential retail customers;
c. Any space added to the hotel facility in connection with such fifteen percent (15%) increase in the total floor area may include an increase in the height of the existing guestrooms so long as the existing overall height of the hotel facility is not increased; and
d. Any space added to the hotel facility in connection with such fifteen percent (15%) increase in the total floor area will not increase the number of hotel guestrooms or otherwise intensify the hotel use or substantially increase any adverse impact of the hotel use on the surrounding retail uses.
2. Notwithstanding any provision of article 33 of this chapter to the contrary, hotel uses with retail facilities in a legally nonconforming building located within the triangular area bounded by Wilshire Boulevard, South Santa Monica Boulevard, and the alley between Crescent Drive and Cañon Drive may be eligible to participate in the "in lieu parking district" as defined in said article, subject to the application and hearing procedures, review standards, appeals process, fees and fee regulations, and other restrictions set forth in sections 10-3-3307 through 10-3-3310, and 10-3-3312 through 10-3-3317 of this chapter. (Ord. 84-O-1937, eff. 11-1-1984; amd. Ord. 98-O-2304, eff. 8-7-1998; Ord. 01-O-2389, eff. 1-10-2002; Ord. 10-O-2589, eff. 10-22-2010)