Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Definitions. For the purpose of this section, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
(1) “Reckless or hazardous operation.” Operation of a skateboard, wheeling or sliding device In a manner such that the wheels of a wheeling device leave the ground or that the skateboard or sliding device is separated from the ground at the same time (i.e. airborne). It is further defined to mean the use of disability ramps, steps, walls, retention walls, doors, handrails, planters, curb or gutter edges, banters and barricades, benches, picnic tables, sculptures, stages, platforms, playground equipment or other devices or structures which are not intended for pedestrian or vehicular traffic, jumping or stepping on or off such devices or structures using wheeled equipment, or in a manner that is likely to cause damage to property or to cause personal injury or failing to yield the right-of-way to or otherwise interfere with pedestrian traffic.
(2) “Skate park.” The area located at Weiss Field for skateboard, roller skate, and in-line skate purposes
(3) “Skateboard.” A foot board mounted upon four or five wheels and usually propelled by the user who sometimes stands, sits, kneels or lies upon the device while it is in motion.
(4) “Wheeling or sliding devices.” Include, but are not limited to, skateboards, roller skates, in-line skates or bicycles or any other device containing wheels which can be ridden on or otherwise utilized by an individual or individuals in order to move about other than walking.
(b) Operating a skateboard, wheeling or sliding device shall be prohibited as follows:
(1) In certain commercial corridors, the operation of a skateboard, wheeling or sliding device in a reckless or hazardous manner shall be prohibited; and
(2) Operating a skateboard, wheeling or sliding device on any property where a sign or signs are posted by property owners prohibiting such operation shall be prohibited. This provision shall be interpreted to mean that if a sign is posted prohibiting skateboarding, it shall be deemed to apply to the prohibition of all skateboard, wheeling or sliding devices.
(3) Notwithstanding the definition of skateboard, wheeling or sliding device, nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of a wheelchair, a stroller, or similar devices, for the purpose of helping an elderly, disabled individual, infant, or other individual needing assistance in moving from place to place.
(4) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a skate park or extreme sports facility operated by the Parks and Recreation Department.
(Ord. 171-08. Passed 12-8-08.)