Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The Zoning Administrator shall be the Property Maintenance Officer and shall examine or cause to be examined any property, building, structure or portion thereof reported to be in violation of this chapter, and if the same is found to be in violation of this chapter, the Zoning Administrator shall give to the owner of such property, building, structure or portion thereof written notice of such violation.
(b) Contents of Notice. The notice shall include:
(1) The address and/or a description of the real estate sufficient for identification;
(2) A statement of the violation(s);
(3) A correction order allowing a reasonable amount of time that shall be not less than 24 hours or more than six months* as determined by the Zoning Administrator, for the actions, repairs and improvements required to bring the property into compliance with the provisions of this chapter; and
(4) A statement that a citation will be issued for not complying with the notice.
* The Zoning Administrator may, for good cause shown, extend the time period for bringing the property into compliance for a period not to exceed one year from the date of the issuance of the notice of violation.
(c) Service of Notice. Notice may be served personally or by mail with postage prepaid, addressed, to the last known address of the owner. Where it is ascertained that the owner does not reside on the premises, the last known address shall be the address of the owner as shown in the office of the Lorain County Auditor. If the last known address of the owner cannot be ascertained, the notice may be posted in a conspicuous manner on the property, building, structure, or portion thereof. Date of service of the notice shall be determined (where service is by mail) as the day following the day of mailing for notices to addresses within the City and as of the fourth day after the day of mailing for notices to addresses outside the City. Where the day of service would fall upon a Sunday or other day when mail is not ordinarily delivered, then the day of service shall be the next regular delivery day.
(Ord. 175-95. Passed 10-23-95; Ord. 252-00. Passed 11-27-00; Ord. 130-08. Passed 9-8-08.)