Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The premises and the exterior of all structures thereon shall be kept free of all nuisances and any hazards to the safety of occupants, pedestrians and other persons utilizing the premises, and free of unsanitary conditions. All such nuisances and hazards and unsanitary conditions shall be promptly removed and abated by the owner or operator. It shall be the duty of the owner or operator to keep the premises free of all nuisances, unsanitary conditions and hazards which include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Refuse. Including, but not limited to, an accumulation of brush, rubbish, garbage, trash, refuse, broken glass, automobile parts, stumps and roots which may create a health, accident or fire hazard, or which is a public nuisance, or which constitutes a blighting or deteriorating influence on the neighborhood.
(b) Natural Growth. Dead trees and limbs or other natural growth which, by reason of rotting or deteriorating conditions or storm damage, constitutes a hazard to persons in the vicinity thereof.
(c) Overhangings. Loose and overhanging objects, both man-made and natural, which, by reason of location above ground level, constitute a danger of falling on persons in the vicinity thereof.
(d) Sources of Infestations. Any premises that are permitted to become infested with vermin or rodents are hereby declared to be a nuisance and unlawful. No owner, occupant or person in charge or control of any premises shall cause or knowingly permit such premises to become or to remain infested with vermin or rodents.
(e) Foundation Walls. Foundation walls shall be kept structurally sound, free from defects and damage, and capable of bearing imposed loads safely.
(f) Chimneys and All Flue and Vent Attachments Thereto. Chimneys and all flue and vent attachments thereto shall be maintained structurally sound, free from defects and so maintained as to capably perform at all times the functions for which they were designed, and the same shall be capable of withstanding, if necessary, the action of flue gases.
(g) Firewood. Front yards shall be kept free, and storage shall be prohibited, of all firewood, brush, logs or any other material intended to be used in fireplaces or other permitted burning facilities. Storage of such materials shall be permitted only in side or rear yards and under the following conditions:
(1) The firewood shall be neatly stacked in an orderly manner a minimum of four inches above the surrounding grade and no higher than six feet;
(2) It shall be cut firewood not to exceed 30 inches (length) per piece;
(3) It shall be stored at least five feet from the property line; and
(4) It shall be stored in such a manner as not to constitute a fire hazard.
(h) Compost Piles. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed or interpreted so as to prevent persons from creating or maintaining a compost pile or piles for yard waste, provided that such pile or piles are not stored in quantities or locations prohibited by any provision of this chapter or by any ordinance of the City or law of the State. All compost piles:
(1) Shall not be visible from the public right of way;
(2) Shall not constitute a public nuisance or a nuisance to abutting and adjoining properties by providing a breeding place or attraction for, or by becoming infested with, vermin, rodents or insects, or emit a smell or odor which annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivities or which endangers or injures real or personal property;
(3) Shall not create any health or fire hazard;
(4) Shall not be created or maintained in any front or side yard or located closer than five feet from any side or rear lot line;
(5) Shall be permitted if the compost pile or piles are enclosed by a barrier on all sides which shall not exceed four feet in height;
(6) Shall not be in excess of one percent of the square footage of the lot or seventy-five square feet, whichever is less;
(7) Shall not impede any natural watercourse or drainage from any property; and
(8) May contain any organic yard waste or vegetable waste. Meat products, dairy products, food oils and animal wastes are prohibited.
(Ord. 175-95. Passed 10-23-95; Ord. 252-00. Passed 11-27-00; Ord. 118-08. Passed 7-14-08; Ord. 26-2011. Passed 4-11-11.)