Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of the Hillside Development (HDZ) apply to newly proposed or individual in the areas listed below. (See Figure 5.2-A.)
A. and Areas
Any or containing and areas designated for protection by the Mayor and Council, as shown on the . The whole is included if any portion of the is within the and Area.
B. Areas of 15% or Greater
Any or containing of 15% or greater, as shown on the HDZ Maps. The whole is included if any portion of the is over 15%.
Any recorded approved in compliance with the Pima County HDZ or the City of Tucson HDZ may be developed in compliance with the conditions and stipulations as approved. If the is resubdivided, it shall comply with all provisions of the HDZ currently in effect.
New that occurs on or proposed that include property designated as HDZ shall be reviewed for compliance with these standards in accordance with Section 3.3.3, PDSD Approval Procedure.
1. The HDZ standards do not apply to those or located within the limits south of the Rillito River/Tanque Verde, east of the Silverbell Road-Congress -Grande Avenue-Mission Road alignment, west of Harrison Road, and north of the Los Reales-Interstate 10 alignment unless otherwise identified on the HDZ maps.
2. The HDZ standards shall not apply to vacant residentially-zoned or , legally created as of September 15, 1980, and containing an area of 16,000 square feet or less, unless, after July 19, 1989, the or is divided into two or more or used for other than one single- dwelling.
3. The HDZ standards shall not apply to or annexed from Pima County that were exempt from the Pima County HDZ at the time of annexation, unless the or is divided into two or more or used for other than one single- dwelling.
4. The restrictions of Section 5.2.5 shall not apply to any or that was zoned R-1, R-2, R-3, or O-3 and located within the limits prior to December 10, 1979, unless the or is divided into two or more or used for other than one single- dwelling.
5. The HDZ standards shall not apply in the following situations if the or vehicular circulation area existed prior to September 15, 1980.
a. Any addition to a that does not exceed one 1,000 square feet or 25% of the area of the , whichever is greater. Additions shall be cumulative after September 15, 1980.
b. Any of, or addition to, a vehicular circulation area that does not exceed 1,000 square feet or 25% of the existing vehicular circulation area, whichever is greater. Additions shall be cumulative after September 15, 1980.
c. Any paving of an existing vehicular circulation area.
F. Designation, Amendment, or Change of Boundaries for a Hillside Development , a , or
The Mayor and Council may designate new property as subject to this Hillside Development or a new or for protection by the establishment of a 300-foot . Consideration shall be in accordance with Section 3.5.3, Zoning Examiner Legislative Procedure. The change to an existing designation, amendment to or change of the boundaries of an existing HDZ area shall be through the same process.
2. Standard for Designation
or ridges or new HDZ areas designated for protection shall:
a. Have been designated by Pima County as a Hillside Development or as a or prior to annexation by the ;
b. Contain significant which should be protected;
c. Be significant in relationship to the surrounding property;
d. Be highly visible from lower elevations; or,
e. Form a silhouette against the sky when viewed from a .