Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Office Created; Appointment: There is hereby created the Office of Chief of Police. The Chief shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the approval of the Council, and he shall be ex officio City Marshal and Superintendent of Police. (1979 Code §6-2)
B. Duties: The Chief of Police shall:
1. Keeper Of City Jail 1 : Be the keeper of the City Jail and shall have custody of all persons incarcerated therein.
2. Records And Reports: Keep such records and make such reports concerning the activities of his department as may be required by statute or by the City Council.
3. Supervision Of Department: Be responsible for the performance by the Police Department of all its functions, and all persons who are members of the department shall serve subject to the orders of the Chief of Police. (1979 Code §6-3)
4. Custody Of Stolen Property: Be the custodian of all lost, abandoned or stolen property in the City. (1979 Code §6-12)
1. See also subsection 1-4-4B of this Code.