For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
   APPLICANT. Any person, group of persons, association, partnership, firm or corporation requesting water and/or sewer service from the town.
   BACKFLOW. The flow of water or other liquids, mixtures or substances into potable water lines from any source other than the town's water supply facilities.
   CONCEALED LEAK. Any water use of which the user has no knowledge, such as leaking underground piping. Leaking toilets, outside and inside faucets, hose bibs, water heater pressure relief valves, exposed piping and the like shall not be considered as concealed water uses and are the customer's responsibility to maintain and correct on an as needed basis.
   CROSS-CONNECTION. Any temporary or permanent physical connection or arrangement, located either on public or private property, between a potable water outlet and an outlet for water of an unknown or questionable quality whereby there may be a flow from one system to the other.
   CUSTOMER. Any person, group of persons, association, partnership, firm or corporation purchasing water and/or sewer services from the town.
   NONPOTABLE WATER. Water that is considered unsatisfactory for domestic consumption but may be satisfactory for cooling, heating or irrigation purposes.
   POTABLE WATER. Water that does not contain objectionable pollution, contamination, minerals or infective agents and is considered satisfactory for domestic consumption.
   PRIVATE WATER SYSTEM. Any facility for obtaining potable water not maintained and operated by the town.
   PUBLIC UTILITIES SUPERINTENDENT. The town employee responsible for the direct supervision of the water and sewer services.
   SEWER SERVICE POINT. The interconnection point between the customer's sewer piping and the town's service line, usually at the property line unless otherwise agreed upon by the customer and the town.
   WATER SERVICE POINT. The point where the town's meter for supplying water is connected to the customer's piping (usually at the property line), unless otherwise specified in the town's agreement with the customer for the purchase of water.
(OC, § 5-1-1)