Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Definitions: For the purpose of this section, the following terms shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection:
COMPULSORY INSURANCE LAW: The law requiring liability insurance in conjunction with the operation of a motor vehicle in this state as found in 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-600 et seq., and section 7-606.
OPERATOR'S POLICY: An operator's policy of liability insurance which shall insure the named person against loss from the liability imposed upon him by law for damages arising out of the operation or use by him of any motor vehicle not owned by him, subject to the same limits of liability required in an owner's policy.
OWNER'S POLICY: An owner's policy of liability insurance which:
1. Shall designate by explicit description or by appropriate reference all vehicles with respect to which coverage is thereby to be granted;
2. Shall insure the person named therein and insure any other person, except as provided in subparagraph 3 of this definition, using an insured vehicle with the express or implied permission of the named insured, against loss from the liability imposed by law for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, operation or use of such vehicle;
3. May provide for exclusions from coverage in accordance with existing laws; and
4. Shall be issued by an authorized carrier providing coverage in accordance with 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-204.
SECURITY: 1. A policy or bond meeting the requirements of 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-204;
2. A deposit of cash or securities having the equivalency of limits required under 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-204 as acceptable limits for a policy or bond; or
3. Self-insurance, pursuant to the provisions of 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-503, having the equivalency of limits required under 47 Oklahoma Statutes section 7-204 as acceptable limits for a policy or bond.
SECURITY VERIFICATION FORM: A form, approved by the state board for property and casualty rates, verifying the existence of security required by the compulsory insurance law of the state of Oklahoma.
B. Security Verification Carried In Vehicle: The owner of a motor vehicle registered in this state and operating the vehicle within the city's boundaries shall carry in such vehicle at all times a current owner's security verification form listing the vehicle, or an equivalent form which has been issued by the state department of public safety which shall be produced by any driver thereof upon request for inspection by any law enforcement officer and, in case of a collision, the form shall be shown upon request to any person affected by the collision.
C. Exceptions: The following shall not be required to carry an owner's or operator's security verification form or an equivalent form from said state department during operation of the vehicle and shall not be required to surrender such form for vehicle registration purposes:
1. Any vehicle owned or leased by the federal or state government, or any agency or political subdivision thereof;
2. Any vehicle bearing the name, symbol or logo of the business, corporation or utility on the exterior and which is in compliance with the compulsory insurance law according to records of the state department of public safety and which reflect a deposit, bond, self-insurance, or fleet policy;
3. Any vehicle authorized for operation, under a permit number issued by the interstate commerce commission, or the Oklahoma corporation commission;
4. Any licensed taxicab; and
5. Any vehicle owned by a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
D. Operator To Carry Security Verification: Every operator of a motor vehicle registered in this state shall, while operating or using such vehicle within the city's boundaries, carry either an operator's or an owner's security verification form issued by a carrier, provided the operator is not excluded from coverage thereon; or an equivalent form issued by the state department of public safety, reflecting liability coverage.
E. Failure To Produce Verification Form: An owner or operator who fails to produce for inspection a valid and current security verification form or equivalent form which has been issued by the state department upon request of any peace officer of the department shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be subject to a fine as provided in section 1-4-1 of this code.
F. Dismissal Of Charge: Any person producing proof in court that a current security verification form or equivalent form which has been issued by the department reflecting this liability coverage for such person was in force at the time of the alleged offense shall be entitled to dismissal of such charge. Court costs may be assessed by the city.
G. Action Of Court; Provide Abstract To State: Upon conviction or bond forfeiture, the court clerk shall forward an abstract to the state department of public safety within ten (10) days reflecting the action taken by the court. (1990 Code § 15-228)