Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose: The purpose of this zone is to:
1. Provide for the development of duplexes and other types of residences, and multi-family dwellings in garden apartments, in areas properly located in relation to commercial and other residential areas, and where utilities, streets, sidewalks, transit, bikeways, schools, recreation areas and other necessary facilities can feasibly serve a high population density.
2. Create conditions conducive to a desirable multi-family residential environment, protect it from the encroachment of unrelated uses affecting the development of vacant land and detrimental to existing residences, and limit the continuance of such uses in existence in the area.
3. Ensure light, air, privacy and usable open spaces for residential living.
4. Provide for those facilities primarily serving the neighborhood and serving it best by being located within it, providing such facilities are in the appropriate locations and in harmony with the neighborhood. (Ord. 1679, 2-9-2016)
(B) Permitted Uses: The following uses and their accessory uses are permitted outright:
Employee housing, small.
Multi-family dwelling units.
One accessory dwelling unit, subject to the requirements within section 10-4-12 of this title.
Residential care facilities and residential service facilities for six (6) or fewer residents, provided said facility is located at a distance of one thousand feet (1,000') or more from any other existing community care facility as measured from any point upon the outside walls of the structures housing such facilities.
Single room occupancy facilities.
Small and medium family daycare home. (Ord. 1679, 2-9-2016; amd. Ord. 1692, 10-24-2017)
(C) Conditional Uses:
Detached single-family dwelling, when the Planning Commission finds that due to site circumstances, such as limited parcel area, irregular parcel size, topography, etc., the development of multi-family dwellings is not practicable.
Professional offices such as accountants, architects, dentists, lawyers, physicians, and engineers provided that development standards as listed in subsection 10-5-13(F) of this chapter be incorporated with the proposed use.
Uses stated in section 10-3-4 of this title.
(D) General Regulations:
1. Maximum density: Eight (8) dwelling units per acre.
2. Minimum parcel area: Six thousand (6,000) square feet or minimum lot area shall be two thousand (2,000) square feet when proposed with various forms of attached single-family dwellings.
3. Minimum parcel area per dwelling unit: Two thousand (2,000) square feet.
4. Maximum parcel coverage: No more than sixty percent (60%) of the total lot shall be devoted to main and accessory building area, parking area, driveway and covered patio area.
5. Minimum parcel width: Sixty feet (60') or twenty feet (20') when proposed with attached single-family dwelling.
6. Minimum yards: Front, twenty feet (20'); sides, ten percent (10%) of the parcel or ten feet (10') whichever is less; rear, fifteen feet (15'); or zero feet (0') setback for all yards where common wall or party wall exists with attached single- family dwellings.
7. Maximum building height: Forty feet (40').
8. Minimum room areas: As defined in the California Residential Code.
9. Minimum parcel frontage: Sixty feet (60'). (Ord. 1679, 2-9-2016)