6.28.040   Possessing dangerous or wild animals.
   (a)   It is unlawful for any person to own or have possession, custody, charge, or control of any elephant, bear, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, ocelot, lion, tiger, alligator, crocodile, leopard, wolf, monkey, squirrel, raccoon, skunk, dangerous dog or other dangerous animal as determined by the public hearing process provided for in Section 6.28.030, venomous or dangerous reptile of any kind, or any other wild animal without first obtaining a permit from the superintendent of the animal center. Any dangerous dog shall also be licensed.
   (b)   Applicants for such permit shall pay an annual permit fee per animal as set forth in the municipal fee schedule.
   (c)   All permits provided for in this section shall be valid for one year from the date of issuance, unless revoked as provided in this section.
   (d)   Upon receipt of an application for a permit to maintain any of the animals set forth in this section, the superintendent of the animal center may issue such permit if he is satisfied that such animal will be kept in a safe, secure and humane fashion and without menacing the safety of any person or animal or causing damage to property. As a condition of granting the permit, the superintendent of the animal center may require that such animal be properly caged or tethered and may make and issue regulations regarding the possession or maintaining of such animal within the city.
   Any conditions for granting of a permit must be noted on the permit at the time of issuance or at a later date that the chief of police or the superintendent of the animal center deems necessary. Special conditions may include but are not limited to:
   (1)   Keeping the animal confined on the premises in an enclosure approved by the chief of police or the superintendent of the animal center;
   (2)   Keeping the animal securely muzzled, leashed, and under the control of a person eighteen years of age or older, and who is physically capable of restraining the animal when the animal is either on or off the property of the person having control, custody, care, or ownership of the animal;
   (3)   Providing financial responsibility for the animal by posting a bond or certificate of insurance to an amount deemed necessary by the city loss control manager or the chief of police, which shall not be less than the amount of fifty thousand dollars;
   (4)   Providing for the surgical spaying or neutering of the animal to prevent reproduction.
   (e)   Any permit issued under this section may be revoked when any provision of this chapter, or any condition or regulation issued by the chief of police or his designee or the superintendent of the animal center under this chapter, is violated, or when, in the opinion of the chief of police, the safety of any person or animal is menaced or property is likely to be damaged by the possession or maintenance of such animal.
   (f)   This section shall not apply to any dangerous or wild animal caged in a safe and humane manner when being transported through the city or when such animal is within the city under the control of a city-licensed circus, carnival, traveling show, or collection of animals.
   However, in all cases, persons owning, caring for, or having control of any animal known as a dangerous animal or wild animal as defined in this section or Section 6.28.010 must post at entrances to the property where such animal is kept, a sign not less than fifteen inches square, containing the warning, both in written and pictorial form, that a dangerous or wild animal is present. If in transit, any cages or containers used to hold such animals must have a clearly visible notice attached to such cage or container warning of the presence of dangerous or wild animals.
(Ord. 3773 § 1 (part), 1987: Ord. 3257 § 7 (part) 1981: Ord. 2960 § 41, 1976: Ord. 2669 § 14 (part) 1972)