Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Permit Required: A floodplain development permit issued by the administrator shall be secured prior to any floodplain development (any manmade change to improved and unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures; mining, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations), including the placement of factory built homes.
B. Application For Permit: Application shall be made on forms furnished by the administrator and shall include the following:
1. Description of the work to be covered by the permit for which application is to be made.
2. Description of the land on which the proposed work is to be done (i.e., lot, block, tract, street address or similar description) that will readily identify and locate the work to be done.
3. Indication of the use or occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
4. Elevation of the 100-year flood.
5. Elevation (in relation to national geodetic vertical datum) of the lowest floor (including basement) of buildings or of the level to which a building is to be floodproofed.
6. For buildings being improved or rebuilt, the estimated cost of improvements and market value of the building prior to the improvements.
7. Such other information as the administrator deems reasonably necessary (e.g., drawings or a site plan) for the purpose of this chapter.
C. Action On Permit Application: The administrator shall, within a reasonable time, make a determination as to whether the proposed floodplain development meets the applicable standards of this chapter and shall approve or disapprove the application. For disapprovals, the applicant shall be informed, in writing, of the specific reasons therefor. The administrator shall not issue permits for variances except as directed by the city council.
D. Construction And Use As Provided In Application And Plans: Floodplain development permits based on the basis of approved plans and applications authorize only the use, arrangement, and construction set forth in such approved plans and applications and no other use, arrangement or construction. Any use, arrangement, or construction at variance with that authorized shall be deemed a violation of this chapter. The applicant shall be required to submit certification by a professional engineer or land surveyor, as appropriate, registered in the state of Iowa, that the finished fill, building floor elevations, floodproofing, or other flood protection measures were accomplished in compliance with the provisions of this chapter, prior to the use or occupancy of any structure. (Ord. 2002-104, 8-27-2002)