Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following signs shall be permitted in any zone without a fee, unless noted otherwise herein:
1. One real estate sign per buildable lot as follows:
a. R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, and R-5 Zones - sign shall not exceed four (4) square feet in outside area and shall not exceed six (6) feet in height. Sign may be single or double faced.
b. SC, RFD, PO, NC, CBD, and CBDF Zones - sign shall not exceed twelve (12) square feet in outside area and shall not exceed eight (8) feet in height. Sign may be single or double faced.
Sign shall advertise the sale, rental, or lease of the premises on which sign is located. Said sign shall not be animated or illuminated. Such sign shall be removed by owner or agent within ten (10) consecutive days after the sale, rental, or lease of the premises on which such sign is located.
2. Professional nameplates not exceeding one (1) square foot in outside area, single or double faced, shall not be animated nor illuminated.
3. Bulletin board not over twelve (12) square feet in outside area; single or double faced; maximum height of eight (8) feet, for public, charitable or religious institutions when the same is located on the premises of said institutions. Said sign shall not be animated or illuminated.
4. Signs not over twenty (20) square feet in outside area; single or double faced; maximum height of eight (8) feet, denoting the (person firm) architect, engineer or contractor when placed upon the premises where construction work is being performed. Said sign shall be removed by owner or agent within ten (10) consecutive calendar days after completion of project or that (person firms) part of project. Said sign shall not be animated or illuminated.
5. Memorial signs or tablets, containing the name of the building and the date of erection when built into the walls of the building and constructed of bronze, brass, marble, stone or incombustible materials. Said sign shall not be animated or illuminated.
6. Traffic signs, provided that said signs are designed in accordance with the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways", U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
7. Temporary signs, where permitted or required by the Zoning Administrator, to fulfill requirements of this Ordinance or other resolutions or regulations imposed by a governmental entity.
8. Repainting or cleaning of an advertising structure or the changing of the advertising copy or message thereon, unless a structural change is made.
9. Signs inside a building, but shall not include signs within open malls or open courts.
10. Courtesy benches for the convenience of the local bus patrons and members of the general public may contain advertising matter and be located in any zone in the City of Newport subject to the following conditions:
(a) Benches shall be located only at designated bus stops, with the approval of the Zoning Administrator.
(b) Each such bench shall be installed parallel with the street and set back not less than five (5) feet from the paved roadway or curb, except as may be otherwise required by the Zoning Administrator. Benches shall be kept in a neat, clean and usable condition so that each bench shall be accessible at all times.
(c) Advertising shall be displayed only on the front of the backrest. The front of the backrest shall be that portion of the backrest that faces upon the street.
(d) Subject to the condition that the Zoning Administrator shall have the duty and authority to require and obtain the removal of any courtesy bench deemed to be a hazard to pedestrians and vehicular traffic, or not in full compliance with this section. The Zoning Administrator shall have the duty and authority to remove or cause to have removed any courtesy bench not moved by the owner or agent ten (10) calendar days of receipt of such notice by the Zoning Administrator. Said owner or agent shall bear full costs of such removal and shall be billed accordingly.
II. Portable signs (sandwich board type signs) shall be permitted but shall not exceed eight (8) square feet in size. The sign shall be of an "A" frame chalkboard design. One sign will be permitted per entrance of the building and can be located within the public sidewalk next to the building. The sign shall not be located in such away as to obstruct movement along the sidewalk or a driver's visibility. The sign shall be removed at the close of business each day. Parking lots are excluded from utilizing portable signs.