Council, upon the presentation of the original receipt or a written statement of the appraisers for articles or houses destroyed under the provisions of Section 1820.13, shall pay to the owner thereof or other person authorized by the owner to receive it, the estimated value of such destroyed articles, or such sum as Council deems just compensation therefor. In the event that the owner is not satisfied with the amount so allowed, he may sue for the value thereof.
(1969 Code Sec. 98.63)