Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Committee on Administration shall have the responsibility of establishing the procedure for screening applicants for licenses issued under this subchapter, for assigning additional penalties for noncompliance with this subchapter or of any city ordinances or state statutes regulating the conduct of such business, and for the suspension, revocation, revision, or reinstatement of such licenses as provided for by this chapter.
(B) No taxicab driver's license shall be effective for the purposes of this subchapter during any period in which the operator's motor vehicle license is suspended or revoked, or following a positive drug test as provided for under § 118.12(G) of this chapter until such license is reinstated by the Committee on Administration; and no taxicab vehicle license shall be effective for the purposes of this subchapter during any period in which the owner's insurance coverage, as required under § 118.10 of this chapter, is no longer in effect or does not meet the coverage requirements of this chapter. Restoration of this suspended license under this section may not be made by the City Clerk until the circumstances which led to the suspension have been corrected.
(C) The City Clerk may suspend or revoke any license granted under the provisions of this subchapter after three violations or for cause. The City Clerk shall make reasonable attempts to notify the licensee in writing of his decision using the licensing information available to him. The licensee shall make a written request for such a hearing within ten days of the date of the notice of the City Clerk's decision. The City Clerk shall schedule a hearing within ten days of the licensee's request, notifying the licensee of the date. Save where the underlying circumstances of the suspension or revocation represent an immediate danger to the lives, health, or safety of the citizens of Manchester, the action shall be stayed pending a reasonable opportunity for the licensee to be heard before the Committee on Administration. In the event the action is not stayed, a hearing before the Committee shall be scheduled, upon request, as soon as practicable. The Committee on Administration may restore the license, sustain the suspension or revocation, or otherwise set such conditions on the license as it deems appropriate. The licensee will be notified of the decision of the Committee which shall be final. If the licensee fails to request a hearing within the allowed time-frame, the City Clerk's suspension or revocation shall be allowed to take effect, however the licensee may request the hearing at a later time.
(D) A license may be suspended or revoked upon a finding that the licensee has:
(1) Falsified any record, document, or information required to be kept or submitted by this subchapter or failure to supply information asked or required of the applicant.
(2) Driven or authorized any person to drive a taxicab which was not equipped and in safe condition as required by the laws of the state or the provisions of this chapter.
(3) Used, or authorized to be used, a trade name, color scheme, or other identification upon a taxicab or in any advertising or public listing, which was likely to be confused with the registered trade name, scheme, or identification of another licensee or which tended to deceive or mislead the public as to the type of service offered.
(4) Carried any passenger to his destination by a route that was not the safest and most direct, unless the customer specifically authorized the deviation or alternate route.
(5) Refused to accept as a passenger any person who requested transportation when the taxicab was not already carrying a passenger, unless the person created a hazard to the driver's safety or was unable to pay the fare.
(6) Activated the taximeter when the taxicab was not employed or failed to activate the meter at the beginning of each trip, unless the transportation was provided pursuant to a written contract or as otherwise provided for in this chapter.
(7) Drove or authorized a driver to drive a taxicab who does not have a valid taxicab driver's license.
(8) Declined to provide service to a neighborhood of the city, unless the operator provided a sound basis therefor, or refused to respond to a call from a dispatcher because of the location of the pickup, unless the operator provided a sound basis therefor.
(9) Violated any provision of this chapter.
(10) Engaged in any loud argument, fight, or other disturbances; harassed, threatened or assaulted another person; intentionally damaged, destroyed or threatened to damage or destroy any property; or in any other manner engaged in conduct detrimental to the safe and efficient transportation of passengers.
(Ord. passed 4-4-95; Am. Ord. passed 10-3-00) Penalty, see § 118.99