Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) License required. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to engage in the business of operating a taxicab company or taxicab dispatch company in the city without first having secured a license therefor.
(B) Application. Applications for a license to engage in the business of operating a taxicab company or taxicab dispatch company shall be made to the City Clerk upon a form to be determined by the City Clerk. The application shall include:
(1) The name, home address, home phone number, business address and business phone number of the applicant.
(2) Trade name under which the applicant proposes to do business.
(3) A description, including the motor vehicle license plate and vehicle registration number, of the motor vehicles to be used in the operation of the business.
(4) A certificate of insurance that the applicant has been issued an insurance policy by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state, protecting the licensee from all claims for damages to property and bodily injury, including death which may arise from operations under or in connection with the license; such insurance shall provide that the policy shall not terminate or be cancelled prior to the expiration date except with 30 days advance written notice to the city; such policy shall provide combined primary and excess coverage which meet a $500,000 minimum limit. A taxicab business licensed on the date on which this section shall take effect shall adjust its insurance coverage no later than the next anniversary date of that policy.
(5) A written statement from the insurance company which issued the certificate of insurance for the applicant citing the maximum number of taxicabs which may be in use for passenger service under the provisions of the insurance policy, and the number of taxicabs listed on the certificate of insurance for use as replacement vehicles.
(6) A description of the proposed location of the business and dispatch service. The business location and dispatch service location must be consistent with the Zoning Code, Chapter 155 of this code of ordinances. The business must be located within the city. The City Clerk must be notified, in writing, at least seven days prior to a change of business or dispatch service location elsewhere within the city limits. A move of the business location outside of the city shall result in a revocation of the taxicab business license and shall require that the taxicab comply file a new application for a taxicab business license under the fee structure and requirements included in this subchapter.
(7) A description of the facility to be used for the maintenance, repair, and inspection of taxicabs. Said facility must be at least 500 square feet in area, may be located at another site within a reasonable distance from that listed as the business location, or may be another separate business entity within a reasonable distance from the business location of the taxicab company and designated by the taxicab company as the facility that will be used for the maintenance, repair, and inspection of its taxicabs.
(8) A statement indicating whether the applicant proposes to hire drivers as employees, to lease its vehicles or services to self-employed independent contractors or both.
(9) Proof that the company has been issued a Worker's Compensation policy, if required, by an insurance company licensed to do business in the state.
(C) The City Clerk shall issue an original or renewed taxicab business license after receipt of the application and a full review by appropriate personnel.
(Ord. passed 4-4-95; Am. Ord. passed 10-3-00) Penalty, see § 118.99