Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) License required. No person shall drive a taxicab unless he shall have secured a license therefor as herein provided.
(B) Application. Applications for a license to drive a taxicab shall be made to the City Clerk upon a form to be determined by the City Clerk. The application shall include:
(1) The name, age, home address, social security number, and telephone number of the applicant.
(2) Statement of whether applicant is employed by a licensed taxicab company, leases a vehicle or services from a taxicab company, or is in any manner affiliated with one or more taxicab companies as an independent contractor.
(3) Proof of possession of a valid New Hampshire driver's license and a complete motor vehicle record for the five years preceding the application from the Motor Vehicle Records Division, State Police, Department of Safety, State of New Hampshire, and/or from the appropriate out-of-state agency or agencies if not a resident of New Hampshire during the five years preceding the application.
(4) A statement signed by the applicant that his physical and mental health is clear of any incident or history which might demonstrate an inability to safely operate a taxicab.
(5) A complete criminal record of the applicant obtained from the Criminal Records Division, State Police, Department of Safety, State of New Hampshire, and/or from the appropriate out-of state agency or agencies if not a resident of New Hampshire for the years preceding the application.
(6) Two recent passport photographs of the applicant, or photographs of such size as previously approved by the City Clerk.
(7) Any other information reasonably required by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
(8) The results of a drug screening urine test for potential drug use, conducted in accordance with § 118.22(A), as evidence that he/she does not use illegal drugs.
(C) Standards for denial. In addition to the application requirements set forth in this section, a license to drive a taxicab shall be denied to the following persons:
(1) An applicant who has not attained the age of 18 years.
(2) An applicant who has received a disqualifying criminal conviction, or who has been imprisoned at any time during the period for a disqualifying criminal conviction, provided that the conviction was for an offense which rationally related to the purpose of licensing taxicab drivers.
(3) An applicant who has received a disqualifying motor vehicle conviction, or whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle in any jurisdiction has been revoked and/or suspended at any time during the five years preceding the application for any reason.
(4) An applicant who is denied a taxicab drivers license under the standards of this section, or who has reason to believe that he/she may be denied a taxicab drivers license under these standards, may file a written request for a review of the application before the Committee on Administration. The Committee on Administration will approve or disapprove the fitness of the applicant for a taxicab driver's license. The Committee on Administration may require the submission of qualifying evidence to make an assessment, including character references and/or evaluation by a qualified professional, and may set such conditions, review procedures, or monitoring activities as it deems appropriate as a condition of licensure.
(5) Driver must present an appearance which is not offensive to the public.
(6) An applicant who is under suspension or revocation from activities conducted at the Manchester Airport. Exception: An applicant whose license has been revoked merely for failing to renew in a timely manner may be considered for licensure.
(7) Conviction of multiple motor vehicle violations of such a nature and/or number during the five years preceding the application as to indicate a habitual or frequent disregard for traffic laws, for the safety of others using the roads, or for the safety of his or her fares.
(8) An applicant who is required to register as a sexual offender or as an offender against children under R.S.A. 651-B:6.
(D) Driver must present an appearance which is not offensive to the public.
(E) The City Clerk shall make and keep a written record of every decision to deny an application for a taxicab business license for a period of one year.
(F) The City Clerk shall issue an original or renewed license after receipt of application or renewal documentation and upon full review by appropriate personnel.
(G) During each licensing year, the office of the City Clerk shall coordinate random drug tests of licensed taxicab drivers and licensed independent contractors, in accordance with the provisions of § 118.22(B).
(Ord. passed 4-4-95; Am. Ord. passed 2-4-97; Am. Ord. passed 4-7-98; Am. Ord. passed 10-3-00; Am. Ord. passed 8-6-02) Penalty, see § 118.99