Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) “Canvass” or “solicit” means traveling from premises to premises or from street to street, taking or attempting to take orders for the sale or lease of goods, wares, merchandise or personal property of any nature for future delivery or for service to be furnished or performed at that time or in the future, whether or not such person carries or exposes for sale a sample of such sale or lease or whether or not he is collecting advance payment on such sales or leases.
(2) “Peddle” means traveling from premises to premises or from street to street offering or exposing for sale or lease or making sales or leases of goods, wares or merchandise.
(1) Those persons who sell, solicit orders for or offer for sale, in person or by their employees, ice, wood, charcoal, meats, milk, butter, eggs, poultry, fish, oysters, game, vegetables, fruits or other family supplies of a perishable nature or farm products grown or produced by them or their employer and not purchased by them or their employer for resale;
(2) The vending or delivery of ice, wood, coal, meat, milk, butter, eggs, poultry, fish, oysters, game, vegetables, fruits or other supplies of a perishable nature, by vendors duly licensed under State law, to sell the same from a truck wagon in the County;
(3) Persons peddling, soliciting or canvassing where all the proceeds derived from such peddling, soliciting or canvassing are to be used solely for nonprofit charitable, religious or community service purposes;
(4) Sales or solicitation of orders by agents or salesmen of wholesale businesses who sell to retail dealers, institutions, processors, restaurants or manufacturers for manufacturing or other purposes, when such selling or soliciting is on commercial or industrial property;
(5) The delivering or soliciting of newspaper subscriptions;
(6) The soliciting of personal services by persons to be furnished by such persons on the premises where such solicitation is made;
(7) Any person who has a regularly established place of business or identifiable geographic location in the County, from which he transacts business and deals in goods, wares or merchandise or performs services or solicits orders for the same on a continuing and on- going basis within the County; and
(8) Persons licensed by the State under Title 38.2 of the Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended.