(Added by Ord. No. 171,259, Eff. 8/30/96.)
91.9205.1. Inspection by the Department. All work shall be subject to inspection by the Superintendent of Building including, but not limited to:
1. Placement and installation of new adhesive or expansion anchors or anchor side plates installed in existing foundations.
2. Placement of required blocking and framing anchors.
3. Installation and nailing of new cripple wall bracing.
The torque testing of sill plate anchors per LAMC Subdivision 91.9204.3.1 shall be performed by the building inspector. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,587, Eff. 7/16/18.)
91.9205.2. Special Inspection. Special inspection is not required for sill plate anchors installed in existing foundations regulated by the provisions of this division. Any work may be subject to special inspection when required by the Superintendent of Building or when so designated by the architect or engineer of record.
91.9205.3. Structural Observation. (Amended by Ord. No. 179,324, Eff. 12/10/07, Oper. 1/1/08.) Structural observation is not required for work done under the prescriptive provisions of this division. When construction documents for strengthening are prepared by an architect or engineer and alternate materials or methods are used, structural observation shall be provided as required in CBC Section 1709.
91.9205.4. Engineer’s or Architect’s Statement. (Amended by Ord. No. 185,587, Eff. 7/16/18.) When an alternative design is provided per LAMC Subsection 91.9201.3, the responsible engineer or architect shall place the following statement on the approved plans:
1. "I am responsible for this building's seismic strengthening design for the underfloor cripple walls and sill bolting in compliance with the minimum seismic resistance standards of Division 92, Article 1, Chapter IX of the LAMC."
or when applicable:
2. "The Registered Deputy Inspector, required as a condition of the use of structural design stresses requiring continuous inspection, will be responsible to me as required by LAMC Section 91.1704."
SILL PLATE ANCHORAGE AND CRIPPLE WALL BRACING 1,2,3
Number of Stories above Cripple Walls
Minimum Sill Plate Connection and Maximum Spacing
Amount of Wall Bracing
Adhesive or expansion anchors shall be 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) minimum diameter spaced at six feet (1829 mm) maximum center to center.
Each end and not less than 50% of the wall length.
Adhesive or expansion anchors shall be 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) minimum diameter spaced at four feet (1219 mm) maximum center to center; or 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) spaced at six feet maximum center to center.
Each end and not less than 70% of the wall length.
Adhesive or expansion anchors shall be 1/2- inch minimum (12.7 mm) diameter spaced at two feet eight inches (813 mm) maximum center to center; or 5/8-inch minimum (15.9 mm) diameter spaced at four feet (1219 mm) maximum center to center.
100% of the wall length.
1. Plate washers for use with adhesive or expansion anchors shall be two-inch (51 mm) by two- inch (51 mm) by 3/16-inch (4.8 mm) for 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) diameter anchors and 2-1/2-inch (64 mm) by 2-1/2-inch (64 mm) by 1/4-inch (6 mm) for 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) diameter anchors.
2. Existing sill plate anchor bolts shall be permitted to provide all or a portion of the sill plate connection requirement if: (Amended by Ord. No. 185,587, Eff. 7/16/18.)
a. the anchor bolt is cast in concrete and in sound condition; and
b. the diameter size and maximum spacing meets or exceeds the requirements of LAMC Table 92-A; and
c. a new plate washer conforming to footnote 1 is installed; and
d. the sill plate is connected to a snug tight condition and torque tested per LAMC Subdivision 91.9204.3.1.
3. Anchor side plates shall be permitted when conditions prevent anchor installation vertically through the sill plate.