Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Duties. The Mayor, as Director of Public Safety, is hereby authorized to employ part-time police officers to supplement regular police officers, possessing such qualifications as the Director of Public Safety may require. Part-time police officers shall not be regarded as regular members of the Division of Police, but would be empowered with the authority and duties of a regular police officer, and shall not participate in any benefits granted to the regular members of the Division of Police. Part-time officers shall be under the direction of the Director of Public Safety and the Chief of Police.
(b) Rate of Pay; Exceptions. Part-time police officers shall be paid at their hourly rate only for time actually worked, unless otherwise provided by ordinance.
(1) A part-time officer who is ordered by the Director of Public Safety, superior officer of the Division of Police, Director of Law or Assistant Prosecutor of the City of Lakewood, or in response to subpoena or similar writ commanding appearance in a criminal, quasi-criminal or civil case arising out of an incident while on duty as an employee of the Lakewood Division of Police shall be compensated for their appearance at a rate determined by the Director of Public Safety.
(2) In addition to their regularly scheduled hours, a part-time officer is subject to re-call to duty upon being notified by or upon the order of a superior officer.
(3) Uniform Allowance. One set of Patrol Officer Uniforms and one set of bicycle uniforms will be provided to each officer upon hire. The Director of Finance shall pay uniform maintenance payments of one hundred dollars ($100.00) bi-annually, payable in the last check of March and September. Part-time police officers shall not be eligible for this payment until they have successfully completed six months of continuous employment.
(c) Accidental Death or Injury. If a part-time officer is fatally injured as the result of and while performing the duties of a police officer with the City of Lakewood, or dies within one year as a result of injuries received in the performance of such duties, the Director of Finance, upon the recommendation of the Director of Public Safety and approval of Council, shall pay to the surviving spouse, if any, otherwise the children of the part-time officer otherwise to the estate of the part-time officer the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).
(1) If a part-time police officer is unable to work as a result of injuries received in the performance of his or her duties with the City of Lakewood, he or she shall, upon certification of such inability by a medical professional and the approval of the Director of Public Safety, be paid for a period not to exceed ninety calendar days as if the part-time officer were working their assigned hours. Hours eligible for payment shall be determined based on the average numbers of hours worked per pay period that the part-time officer worked over the prior six months or first day of employment, whichever is shorter.
(2) In the event of any accidental death payment pursuant to this subsection, the City shall be subrogated to all the part-time officers rights of recovery therefor against any person or organization, and the representative of the estate of such part-time officer shall execute and deliver instruments and papers and shall do whatever else is necessary to secure such rights. Furthermore, such representative shall do nothing after payment hereunder to prejudice such rights. (Ord. 54-08. Passed 5-19-2008.)