Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Purpose. Within specified zone districts, planned developments are intended to encourage flexibility, innovation, and creativity in site and development design by allowing the mixing of permitted uses and/or modification or variation from otherwise applicable zone district and development standards. In return for maximum flexibility in site design and development, planned developments are expected to deliver exceptional quality products that preserve critical environmental resources, provide above-average open space amenities, incorporate creative design in the layout of buildings, open space, and circulation, assure compatibility with surrounding land uses and neighborhood character, and provide greater efficiency in the layout and provision of roads, utilities, and other infrastructure.
(b) Standards for Review of a Preliminary PD Plan. An application for approval of a preliminary PD plan, together with submitted plans and reports, shall be reviewed for their conformance with the following standards:
(1) The proposed PD shall be consistent with and implement the planning goals, policies, and objectives as contained in this Code and in the Comprehensive Plan;
(2) The proposed PD shall contain uses that are expressly permitted either by-right or as conditional uses in the zone district in which the PD is located or as modified according to division (b)(3) of this section, but such uses may be mixed within the planned development or within the same structure located in the PD;
(3) The proposed PD shall comply with the density or lot coverage ratio requirements set forth for the zone district in which the PD is located, except to the extent that a bonus has been expressly allowed pursuant to division (c) of this section;
(4) The proposed PD shall comply with the subdivision development and design standards as set forth in Chapter 1208, except to the extent modifications, variances, or waivers have been expressly allowed pursuant to division (b)(7) of this section;
(5) Adverse impacts on adjacent properties, including but not limited to traffic, noise, and visual impacts, shall be mitigated to the maximum extent feasible;
(6) The planned development shall be integrated with adjacent development through street connections, sidewalks, trails, and similar features;
(7) All district, development, and subdivision standards set forth in Chapters 1205, 1207 (such as lot size, floor area ratio, structure height, etc.), and 1208, except those specified in division (b)(8) of this section, may be modified or varied upon a finding that the proposed PD incorporates creative site design such that it represents an improvement in quality over what could have been accomplished through strict application of the otherwise applicable district or development standards, including but not limited to improvements in open space provision and access; environmental protection; tree/vegetation preservation; efficient provision of streets, roads, and other utilities and services; or choice of living and housing environments;
(8) The proposed PD shall comply with the following requirements, which shall not be modified or varied except as expressly set forth below or as permitted by Section 1203.08, Minor Modifications:
A. Minimum area requirement. All planned developments shall have a minimum size of five acres except for District 5 which shall [have] a minimum size of two acres.
B. Setbacks from adjoining residential uses. All planned developments shall comply with any applicable zone district standards that require minimum setbacks from adjoining residential uses or properties.
C. Transportation/circulation/pedestrian linkage. All planned developments shall comply with the transportation, circulation, and pedestrian linkage standards set forth in Section 1207.13, and such provisions shall not be modified or varied in any way unless adequate compensating mitigation measures are included in the PD plan.
D. Adequate public facilities. All planned developments shall comply with the adequate public facilities standards set forth in Section 1207.11.
E. Environmental protection standards. All planned developments shall comply with the provisions set forth in the following sections and such provisions shall not be modified or varied in any way unless compensating mitigation measures are included in the PD plan:
1. Section 1207.03, Wetlands/Stream Corridor Protection.
2. Section 1207.07, Stormwater Management/Drainage/Erosion Control.
3. Section 1207.02, Tree and Vegetation Protection.
4. Section 1207.10, Performance Standards.
F. Architectural and design standards. All planned developments shall comply with the City's architectural and design standards, including but not limited to industrial design standards.
(c) Density Bonuses. Upon satisfaction of all applicable standards and requirements, and at the City's sole discretion, bonuses in density, floor area maximum or floor-area-to-lot-area ratios of no greater than twenty-five percent may be granted to a proposed PD based upon incorporation within the PD of any of the following:
(1) Landscaping in excess of the minimum requirements set forth in this Code;
(2) Preservation of historical structures;
(3) Provision of specified public benefits/amenities (e.g., a day care center or community center);
(4) Dedication of permanent open space, including trails or trail access, beyond what would be roughly proportional to the demand for such open space or trails/trail access generated by the proposed PD;
(5) Preservation of critical and sensitive environmental areas in excess of the minimum requirements set forth in this Code, including preservation of key wetlands and significant stands, sizes, or unusual species of trees; or
(6) Other exceptional site and/or building designs as determined by the PC.
(d) Standards for Review for a Final PD Plan. A final PD plan application, together with all submitted plans and reports, shall be reviewed and evaluated to determine their compliance with the following standard:
(1) The final PD plan conforms in all respects with the approved preliminary PD plan and incorporates all recommended changes, modifications, and conditions attached to approval of the preliminary plan.
(Ord. 16-148, § 7. Passed 2-21-17; Ord. 18-93. Passed 10-15-19.)