Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Maximum permissible decibel limits on noise emitting from source or sources not on public right of way in residential, commercial and industrial districts.
Noise will be measured at the boundaries of the lot. Noise radiating from properties or buildings in excess of the dB(A) established for the districts and times herewith listed shall constitute prima facie evidence that such noise is a public nuisance. This includes noise from such activities as production, processing, cleaning, servicing, testing and repair of vehicles, materials, goods or products. Noises caused by home or building repair or grounds maintenance are excluded, provided such noises do not exceed limitations specified in this section, by more than 20 dB(A) and do not exceed a total of eight (8) hours over a period of two (2) days. If such noise is to continue, a permit shall be obtained from the city manager or his authorized representative.
Limitations 6:00 A.M. To Next 11:00 P.M.
Limitations 11:00 P.M. To Next 6:00 A.M.
1. At boundaries between zones, the lower of the dB(A) levels shall be applicable.
2. To be in violation, the source or sources of noise must be identifiable and the levels without regard to the ambient must exceed the above limitations.
3. Periodic or impulsive noises shall be in violation when such noises are at a noise level of five (5) dB(A) less than those listed herein.
4. The limit on pure tones shall be five (5) dB(A) less than those listed herein.
5. Construction projects shall be subject to the maximum permissible noise levels specified for industrial districts for the period within which construction is to be completed pursuant to any applicable construction permit issued by proper authority, or if no time limitation is imposed, then for a reasonable period of time for completion of project.
6. All railroad rights of way shall be considered as industrial districts for the purpose of this chapter, and the operation of trains shall be subject to the maximum permissible noise levels specified for such districts.
B. Maximum permissible decibel limits for motor driven vehicles. Noise from a noise source within a public right of way shall be measured at a distance of at least twenty five feet (25') from the center of the nearest traffic lane on a sound level meter of standard design and operated on the "A" weight scale. The following dB(A) limitations are with reference to a distance of twenty five feet (25') from the sound source.
Trucks and buses, over 10,000 gross weight
Trucks and buses, under 10,000 gross weight
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, minibikes, automobiles and other self-propelled vehicles
(Ord. 1959, 9-5-1972)