Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Composting shall be permitted within the city as stated herein.
(B) All compost piles shall be maintained using approved composting procedures to comply with the following requirements:
(1) All compost piles shall be enclosed in a controlled standing compost system. Each compost shall be no taller than 3 feet and no wider than 5 feet.
(2) The compost system shall provide adequate penetration of moisture for the compost materials and provide adequate ventilation for products or decomposition.
(3) All compost piles shall be so maintained as to prevent the attraction or harborage of rodents and pests. The presence of rodents in or near a compost pile shall be cause for the city to proceed pursuant to ordinance.
(4) All compost piles shall be so maintained as to prevent unpleasant odors.
(5) The compost pile shall be located within the rear of the property unless the residence is located on the back of the lot. In those instances, the property owner should contact the city’s Recycling Department regarding placement of a compost pile on the property.
(6) No compost pile shall contain any of the following:
(a) Cooked food scraps;
(b) Fish, meat or other animal products;
(c) Manure of any type; and
(d) Grease or animal bones.
(7) Compost piles may contain:
(a) Yard waste;
(b) Commercial compost additives;
(c) Home grown or commercially grown fruits or vegetables;
(d) Egg shells, coffee grounds or tea bags; or
(e) Wood chips, straw or shredded paper.
(C) Every owner or operator shall be responsible for maintaining all property under his or her control in accordance with the requirements of this section.
(Prior Code, § 94.18) (Ord. 7717, passed 8-8-1994) Penalty, see § 94.999