Skip to code content (skip section selection)
ADULTERATION: For the purpose of this title, an article shall be deemed to be adulterated:
(A) In case of confectionery, if it contains terra alba, barytes, talc, chrome-yellow, paraffin, mineral fillers, poisonous color or flavor, any ingredient deleterious or detrimental to health, or any vinous, malt or spirituous liquor or compound or narcotic drug.
(B) In case of food:
1. If any substance has been mixed or packed with it so as to reduce or injuriously affect its quality, strength or purity.
2. If any substance has been substituted wholly or in part for the article.
3. If any valuable constituent of the article has been wholly or in part abstracted; provided, that in the manufacture or processing of skimmed milk or separated cheese, the whole or part of the butter fats in the milk may be abstracted.
4. If it be mixed, colored, powdered, coated, polished or stained in any manner whereby damage or inferiority is concealed or the article is made to appear better or of greater value than it really is.
5. If it contains any added poisonous or otherwise deleterious ingredient which may render such article injurious to health.
6. If it consists in whole or in part of a filthy, infected, tainted or decayed animal or vegetable substance or any portion of any animal unfit for food, whether manufactured or not, or if it is the product of a diseased animal or one that has died otherwise than by slaughter.
FOOD: The term "food" as used in this title shall include every article used for food or drink by man or animals, whether simple or compounded, and any substance used as a constituent in the manufacture thereof.
MISBRANDED: The term "misbranded" as used herein, shall apply to all articles of food or drink the packages or labels of which shall bear any statement, design or device regarding such article or the ingredients or substance contained therein which is false or misleading in any particular; it shall also apply to any such products which are falsely branded as to the manufacturer, packer or dealer who sells the same, or as to the State, territory or country in which it is manufactured or produced. (Ord. 61-O-44, 1961)