Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) By the Sheriff.
(1) The Sheriff, without filing charges with the Merit Commission, may suspend without pay for any reasonable period not to exceed a total of ten days within a 12-month period, any member of the County Police Department for infractions of §§ 33.002 through 33.015 and a written report shall be sent to the Merit Commission.
(2) The Sheriff may suspend any member of the County Police Department for a period in addition to the above-limited ten days, only after charges against that member have been filed with the Merit Commission and pending the decision of the Commission on those charges.
(a) Assign extra duty in his or her regular assignment or otherwise, with or without pay, not to exceed eight hours in any one week nor 40 hours in any three-month period;
(b) Reprimand a member in writing; and
(c) Reprimand a member orally.
(4) No other disciplinary measures shall be taken by the Sheriff except by order of the Merit Commission.
(B) By the Merit Commission. The Merit Commission, after the hearing upon written charges as prescribed by the County Police Department Merit Commission Act, if it shall make a finding of guilty, may order any of the following disciplinary measures which, in the opinion of the Commission, the offense merits:
(1) Discharge and removal from the County Police Department;
(2) Reduction in rank; or
(3) Suspension for a period not to exceed a total of 180 days in any 12-month period.
(1980 Code, § 33.05) (1966 pp. 14—15, adopted 1- -1966) (Sup. Rec. Bk. 237, pp. 88—89)
Disciplinary procedures; hearings, see § 33.006