Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Sexually-oriented establishments shall be prohibited in all of the city’s zoning districts set forth in § 153.011, except the I-1 and I-2 Districts, where the businesses and uses are conditional uses, provided that the conditions of divisions (B) through (H) below are met.
(B) Sexually-oriented establishments shall be located at least 600 radial feet, as measured in a straight line from the property line upon which the sexually-oriented establishment is located to the property line of the following:
(1) R District or an “R” use;
(2) Agricultural land located in the neighboring township or in the city that is designated in the comprehensive plan for residential use;
(3) A licensed day care center;
(4) A public or private school;
(5) A public library;
(6) A public park;
(7) A church; or
(8) Amusement places such as roller rinks, dance halls and bowling alleys.
(C) Sexually-oriented establishments shall be located at least 600 radial feet apart as measured from property line to property line.
(D) Each sexually-oriented establishment is a separate use and no two sexually-oriented establishments shall be located in the same building or upon the same property and each use shall be subject to the regulations contained herein.
(1) All signs shall be wall signs. No electronic changeable copy or electronic graphic display signs are permitted.
(2) The gross area of all wall signs shall be limited to the maximum gross area permitted for a sign in the R District.
(3) No merchandise or pictures of the products or entertainment on the premises shall be displayed in window areas or any area where they can be viewed from the sidewalk in front of the building.
(4) Window areas shall not be covered or made opaque in any way, but no sexually-oriented materials or sexually-oriented uses shall be visible from the sidewalk in front of the building. No signs shall be placed in any window. A one-square-foot sign may be placed on the door to state the hours of operation and admittance to adults only.
(5) Sign messages shall be generic in nature and shall only identify the type of business which is being conducted.
(F) Sexually-oriented establishments shall be prohibited in establishments where alcoholic beverages are served.
(G) Sexually-oriented establishments shall be prohibited at anyplace where minors are permitted or may be present.
(H) A sexually-oriented business must comply with the requirements of § 111.08 of this code of ordinances.
(Ord. passed 10-11-1963)