Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Within the I-1 Light Industrial District, no structure or land shall be used for the following uses, except by conditional use permit:
(A) Uses which are permitted under § 153.235, which could involve the storage or use of materials that explode;
(B) Essential service structures;
(C) Radio or television transmission towers;
(D) Satellite dish antennas greater than one meter (39 inches) in diameter. See § 153.396;
(E) Open storage, provided all of the following conditions are met.
(1) Open storage shall be accessory to the principal use conducted within a building and shall not be a principal use by itself such as junk yards or contractors’ storage yards.
(2) Open storage shall be limited to an area not larger than 50% of the ground coverage of the principal building and shall be located behind the principal building and not in side or front yard areas and not abutting a public street.
(3) Open storage areas shall be surfaced with concrete or asphalt and shall be subject to the screening provisions of § 153.209(C).
(4) If a Residential District abuts the property, the open storage area shall be setback from the property line on the side at least 50 feet.
(F) Accessory structures;
(G) Motor vehicle sales or rental when display and storage is entirely within a building;
(H) Tattoo, body piercing or body art establishment, provided they meet the conditions in § 153.171.
(I) Pawnshops, provided they meet the conditions in § 153.171.
(J) Bingo halls, provided they meet the conditions in § 153.171(D).
(K) Pyrotechnic special effects material storage that weighs in excess of 125 pounds, which can be increased to 250 pounds, if the pyrotechnic special effects material is stored in a building that has automatic sprinklers. The weight of material shall be determined by the standards set forth by the National Fire Protection Association;
(L) Learning center, business or trade school when conducted entirely within a building;
(N) Chemical dependency treatment facility serving a total of up to 16 persons. The facility may not be located in a duplex or multi-family dwelling unless it occupies the entire structure. The facility shall be located at least 600 feet, when measured in a straight line from the property line in which the facility is located to the property line of the following:
(1) A licensed child day care facility;
(2) A public or private educational facility classified as an elementary, middle, junior high or senior high school; or
(3) Single-family or two-family use.
(P) Dog training facility, provided all of the following conditions are met.
(1) Any such facility shall be set back at least 500 feet from residentially zoned property, as measured in a straight line from the nearest edge of the outdoor training area to the property line of residentially zoned property.
(2) Outdoor training facilities shall include an enclosed building with restrooms.
(3) The outdoor area to be used for the dog training facility shall be completely enclosed with a fence that is at least four feet in height.
(4) Adequate off-street parking shall be provided, as determined by the Zoning Administrator.
(5) Outdoor areas shall be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition at all times. Solid waste material shall be removed at least daily and disposed of in a sanitary manner.
(6) Lighting shall not exceed zero foot-candles at the abutting property line.
(7) The facility shall not be operated between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(8) No dogs shall remain unattended in outdoor areas.
(9) No permanent outdoor pens are allowed with the exception of a separate outdoor relief area.
(10) A maximum ratio of one person to four dogs is allowed in the outdoor areas at any given time.
(Q) Used merchandise stores;
(R) Learning center, business or trade school when conducted entirely within a building; and
(S) State-licensed adult day care facilities.
(Ord. 11-08, passed - -; Ord. 12-27, passed - -; Ord. passed 10-11-1963; Ord. 17-03, passed 4-10-2017)