Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) General. The C-4 District is designed to provide for free-standing commercial activities and highway oriented businesses. Uses permitted in this district may require larger sites and buildings and may not necessarily be compatible with other commercial or residential districts.
(B) Use regulations.
(1) Permitted uses. No building or land shall be used and no building shall be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered to be used for any purpose other than a use which is permitted in Table 1 of this chapter.
(C) Height regulations. No building shall hereafter be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered to exceed 35 feet in height. No accessory building shall exceed 20 feet in height.
(D) Yard and area regulations. No building shall hereafter be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered in any manner which will encroach upon, or reduce the regulations of this chapter.
(1) Front yard. There shall be a front yard of not less than 30 feet in depth between the front property line and the building or the furthermost projection thereof. The required front yard area shall be maintained as a green area, except for necessary ways of access.
(2) Side yards.
(a) On a corner lot, there shall be two side yards, the side yard abutting the street having a width of not less than 30 feet, and the interior side yard a width of not less than 20 feet.
(b) Interior lots shall have two side yards, each side shall be not less than 20 feet.
(3) Rear yard. There shall be a rear yard on every lot, which rear yard shall have a minimum depth of 25 feet. An accessory building may be built in the rear yard area observing the above side line requirements and be located no closer than ten feet from the rear line.
(4) Lots abutting a residential zoning district.
(a) Any property line abutting a residential zoning district shall be required to be effectively screened in one of the following ways, or a combination thereof:
1. Buffering shall be a dense strip of natural plantings, not less than ten feet in width, and six feet in height after one full growing season, and ten feet in ultimate height; or
2. A solid fence not less than six feet in height.
(b) The screening plans shall be approved by the Plan Commission.
(F) Visibility clearance. Vision clearance shall be in accordance with the provisions of § 156.121 of this chapter.
(G) Off-street parking and loading requirements. Off-street parking and loading space shall be in accordance with § 156.122 of this chapter.
(H) Sign regulations. Signs shall be in accordance with the provisions in § 156.123 of this chapter.
(I) Special conditions. Apartment dwellings shall be prohibited below a commercial establishment or in an accessory building. Apartment dwellings may be permitted above a commercial establishment only as a special use.
(J) Approval of site plan. Site plan approval by the Plan Commission shall be required prior to issuance of a building permit for any new structure or major addition to an existing structure in accordance with the provisions of § 156.041 of this chapter.
(Ord. 9-80, passed 12-15-1980)