Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) General. The C-2 Commercial District is intended for areas where a single commercial establishment or a limited group of small establishments may be appropriately located to serve the frequent commercial and/or personal service needs of area residents living within a convenient traveling distance. It is not the intent of this district to permit major commercial establishments, nor highway oriented businesses.
(B) Use regulations.
(1) Permitted uses. No building or land shall be used and no building shall be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered to be used for any purpose other than a use which is permitted in Table 1 of this chapter.
(C) Height regulations. No building shall hereafter be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered to exceed two stories, nor shall it exceed 30 feet in height. No accessory building shall exceed 16 feet in height.
(D) Yard and area regulations. No building shall hereafter be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered in any manner which will encroach upon, or reduce the regulations of this chapter.
(1) Front yard. There shall be a front yard of not less than 25 feet in depth between the front property line and the building or the furthermost projection thereof. The required front yard depth shall be maintained as a green area except for necessary access ways.
(2) Side yards.
(a) On a corner lot, there shall be two side yards, the side yard abutting the street having a width of not less than 25 feet, and the interior side yard a width of not less than ten feet.
(b) Interior lots shall have two side yards, each side yard shall be not less than ten feet.
(3) Rear yard. There shall be a rear yard on every lot, which rear yard shall have a minimum depth of 20 feet. An accessory building may be constructed in the rear yard area observing the above side line requirements and be located no closer than ten feet from the rear lot line unless said rear line abuts a residential zoning district which shall require a minimum of 12 feet from the lot line.
(4) Lots abutting residential zoning district.
(a) In no case shall any building or structure be erected closer than 12 feet from any residential zoning district, nor shall any parking or loading facilities be located within the 12-foot area adjacent to said residential property line. It shall further be required that any property line abutting said district be effectively screened in one of the following ways, or a combination thereof:
1. Buffering shall be by a dense strip of natural plantings, not less than six feet in width and six feet in height after one full growing season, and ten feet in ultimate height; or
2. A solid fence not less than six feet in height.
(b) All screening plans shall be approved by the Plan Commission.
(F) Visibility clearance. Vision clearance shall be in accordance with the provisions of § 156.121 of this chapter.
(G) Off-street parking and loading requirements. Off-street parking and loading space shall be provided in accordance with the provisions of § 156.122 of this chapter.
(H) Sign regulations. Sign regulations shall be in accordance with the provisions in § 156.123 of this chapter.
(I) Special conditions.
(1) All business shall be conducted within a completely enclosed building unless otherwise specifically authorized as part of a special use.
(2) Apartment dwellings shall be prohibited below a commercial establishment or in an accessory building. Apartment dwellings shall be permitted above a commercial establishment.
(J) Approval of site plan. Site plan approval by the Plan Commission shall be required prior to issuance of a building permit for any new structure or major addition to an existing structure in accordance with the provisions of § 156.041 of this chapter.
(Ord. 9-80, passed 12-15-1980)