Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The purpose and intent of this subchapter is to regulate construction and land uses within riparian zones that would impair the ability of these areas to:
(1) Reduce flood impacts by absorbing peak flows, slowing the velocity of flood waters and regulating base flow.
(2) Assist is stabilizing the banks of watercourses to reduce woody debris from fallen or damaged trees, stream bank erosion, and the downstream transport of sediments eroded from watercourse banks.
(3) Reduce pollutants in watercourses during periods of high flows by filtering, settling, and transforming pollutants already present in watercourses.
(4) Reduce pollutants in watercourses by filtering, settling and transforming pollutants in runoff before they enter watercourses.
(5) Provide watercourse habitats with shade and food.
(6) Reduce the presence of aquatic nuisance species to maintain a diverse aquatic system.
(7) Provide riparian habitat to a wide array of wildlife by maintaining diverse and connected riparian vegetation.
(B) This subchapter has been enacted to protect riparian areas by providing reasonable controls governing activities and uses within a riparian zone along designated watercourses in the city.
(C) This subchapter shall apply to all lands in any zoning district that are within the jurisdiction of the city and that border designated watercourses as defined in this section.
(Ord. 08-028, passed 6-3-08)