Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. The following streets within the city are approved as designated truck routes:
1. Mooney Boulevard (Hwy 63) between the southerly city limits and Highway 198;
2. Locust Street (Hwy 63) between Noble Avenue and Northwest Second;
3. Northwest Second (Hwy 63) between Locust Street and West Street;
4. West Street (Hwy 63) between Northwest Second and Houston Avenue;
5. Court Street (Hwy 63) between Noble Avenue and Northwest Third;
6. Northwest Third (Hwy 63) between Court Street and West Street;
7. Dinuba Boulevard (Hwy 63) between Houston Avenue and the north city limit;
8. Northeast Third between Court Street and Houston Avenue;
9. Ben Maddox Way between Caldwell Avenue and the north city limit;
10. All of Lovers Lane within the city limits;
11. Plaza Drive, between Highway 198 and the north city limit;
12. All of Caldwell Avenue in the city limits between Shirk Street and Lovers Lane;
13. All of Highway 198 within the city limits;
14. All of Goshen Avenue within the city limits between Highway 99 and Shirk Road;
15. Houston Avenue between Santa Fe Street and the easterly city limit.
B. The city council finds that the erection of signs on the streets designated as truck routes shall best serve to give notice of this chapter. The city engineer is authorized to designate such streets as truck routes by the erection of appropriate signs.
C. All commercial vehicles in excess of fourteen thousand (14,000) pounds gross vehicle weight shall be required to drive on a designated truck route as specified in subsection (A) of this section while within the city.
D. Notwithstanding subsections (A) and (C) of this section, per Section 35701 of the California Vehicle Code, commercial vehicles exceeding a gross weight of fourteen thousand (14,000) pounds, are prohibited the use of the following street sections:
1. Demaree Road between Caldwell and Goshen;
2. Tulare Avenue between Akers Road and Woodland Street;
3. Tulare Avenue between Central Street and Locust Street;
4. Campus Avenue between Demaree Street and Woodland Street;
5. Burrel Avenue between Mooney Boulevard and Central Street;
6. Prospect Avenue between Mooney Boulevard and Conyer Street;
7. Ferguson Avenue between Dinuba Boulevard and Bridge Street;
8. Linwood Street between Caldwell Avenue and State Highway 198;
9. Chinowth Road between Whitendale Avenue and Highway 198;
10. County Center Drive between Caldwell Avenue and State Highway 198;
11. Woodland Street between Walnut Avenue and West Main Street;
12. Sallee Street between Beech Avenue and Walnut Avenue;
13. Mooney Boulevard between Goshen Avenue and Riggin Avenue;
14. Central Street between Mineral King Avenue and Burrel Avenue;
15. Giddings Street between Whitendale Avenue and Murray Avenue;
16. All of Giddings Street in the city limits between Houston Avenue and Riggin Avenue;
17. Conyer Street between Walnut Avenue and School Avenue;
18. Court Street between Caldwell Avenue and Tulare Avenue;
19. Court Street between Houston Avenue and Sunnyview Avenue;
20. Burke Street between Paradise Avenue and Noble Avenue;
21. Beverly Drive between Mooney Boulevard and Divisadero Street;
22. Myrtle Avenue between Mooney Boulevard and Divisadero Street;
23. Kaweah Avenue between Mooney Boulevard and Divisadero Street.
E. The city council finds that the erection of signs along the streets on which commercial vehicles exceeding a gross weight of fourteen thousand (14,000) pounds are prohibited shall best serve to give notice of this chapter. The city engineer is authorized to designate such streets by the erection of appropriate signs.
F. This chapter shall not prohibit any commercial vehicles coming from an unrestricted street having ingress and egress by direct route to and from a restricted street when necessary for the purpose of making pickups or delivery of goods, wares and merchandise from or to any building or structure located on the restricted street or for the purpose of delivering materials to be used in the actual and bona fide repair, alteration, remodeling or construction of any building or structure upon the restricted street for which a building permit has been obtained.
G. The chapter shall not apply to passenger buses governed by the provisions of the Public Utilities Code Sections 1031 through 1036 or any vehicle owned by public utilities.
H. Violation of any of the provisions of this chapter shall be unlawful and shall be subject to the penalties established by California Vehicle Code Section 42001 and as such section may be amended from time to time. (Ord. 9802 § 2, 1998)