Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Basic Rules; Speed Limits:
1. Reasonable And Prudent Conditions: No person shall drive a vehicle on a public thoroughfare at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the public thoroughfare in compliance with the legal requirements and duty of all persons to use due care.
2. Twenty Five Miles Per Hour: Where no special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subsection A of this Section, the speed of any vehicle shall not exceed twenty five (25) miles per hour.
3. Amendments: Upon proper action by the Town Council, the speed limits on any thoroughfare within the Town may be raised or lowered by posting signs to that effect. (1965 Code § 10-4-1)
B. Minimum Speed Regulations: No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. (1965 Code § 10-4-2)
C. Limited Speed Zone: All streets and avenues within the Town limits shall be restricted to a twenty five (25) miles per hour speed limit, with the following exceptions:
1. Schools, Playgrounds And Similar Areas: All streets, avenues and alleys adjacent to and within one block of any and all school buildings, playgrounds, parking lots, athletic fields and practice fields shall be limited to fifteen (15) miles per hour, twenty four (24) hours a day, three hundred sixty five (365) days a year, including the Leap Year, February 29.
2. Alleys: All alleys within the Town limits shall be restricted to a fifteen (15) mile per hour limit. (Ord. 3, 1974)