Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) For the purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) Federally exempt organization means an organization which has received a determination of exemption, or qualifies for such exemption, under 26 U.S.C. section 501(c) and rules and regulations of the commissioner of internal revenue pertaining to same, but not including a "governmental entity," "nonlicensed business," or "public educational entity."
(2) Governmental entity means the federal government, the State of Arizona, any other state, or any political subdivision, department or agency of any of the foregoing; provided further that persons contracting with such a governmental entity to operate any part of a governmentally adopted and controlled program to provide urban mass transportation shall be deemed a governmental entity in all activities such person performs when engaged in said contract.
(3) Nonlicensed business means any person conducting any business activity for gain or profit, whether or not actually realized, which person is not required to be licensed for the conduct or transaction of activities subject to the tax imposed under this article.
(4) Proprietary club means any club which has qualified or would otherwise qualify as an exempt club under the provisions of 26 U.S.C. section 501(c)(7), (8) and (9), notwithstanding the fact that some or all of the members may own a proprietary interest in the property and assets of the club.
(5) Public educational entity means any educational entity operated pursuant to any provision of A.R.S. title 15.
(b) Transactions which, if conducted by any other person, would produce gross income subject to tax under this article shall not be subject to the imposition of such tax if conducted entirely by a public educational entity, governmental entity, except "proprietary activities" of municipalities as provided by regulation, or nonlicensed business.
(c) Transactions which, if conducted by any other person, would produce gross income subject to the tax under this article shall not be subject to the imposition of such tax if conducted entirely by a federally exempt organization or proprietary club with the following exceptions:
(1) Transactions involving proprietary clubs and organizations exempt under 26 U.S.C. section 501(c)(7), (8) and (9), where the gross revenue of the activity received from persons other than members and bona fide guests of members is in an amount in excess of fifteen (15) percent of total gross revenue, as prescribed by regulation. In the event this fifteen (15) percent limit is exceeded, the entire gross income of such entity shall be subject to the applicable tax.
(2) Gross income from unrelated business income as that term is defined in 26 U.S.C. section 512, including all statutory definitions and determinations, the rules and regulations of the commissioner of internal revenue, and his administrative interpretations and guidelines.
(d) Except as may be provided elsewhere in this article, transactions where customers are exempt organizations, proprietary clubs, public educational entities, governmental entities, or nonlicensed businesses shall be deemed taxable transactions for the purpose of the imposition of taxes under this article, notwithstanding that property so acquired may in fact be resold or leased by the acquiring person to others. In the case of sales, rentals, leases or licenses to proprietary clubs or exempt organizations, the vendor may be relieved from the responsibility for reporting and paying tax on such income only by obtaining from its vendee a verified statement that includes:
(1) A statement that when the property so acquired is resold, rented or licensed, that the otherwise exempt vendee chooses, or its required, to pay city public utility tax or an equivalent excise tax on its gross income from such transactions and does in fact file returns on same; and
(2) Proof of public utility licensing of the otherwise exempt vendee; and
(3) Such other information as the tax collector may require.
(e) Franchisees or concessionaires operating businesses for or on behalf of any exempt organization, governmental entity, public educational entity, proprietary club, or nonlicensed business shall not be considered to be such an exempt organization, club, entity or nonlicensed business, but shall be deemed to be a taxpayer subject to the provisions of this article, except as provided in the definition of governmental entity, regarding urban mass transit.
(Ord. No. 6926, § 1.B, 4-18-88)