Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following persons shall be deemed liable for the tax imposed by this division and such liability shall not be extinguished until the tax has been paid to this city, except that a receipt from a retailer separately charging the tax imposed by this chapter is sufficient to relieve the person acquiring such property from further liability for the tax to which the receipt refers:
(1) Any person who acquires tangible personal property from a retailer, whether or not such retailer is located in this city, when such person stores or uses said property within the city.
(2) Any retailer not located within the city, selling, renting, leasing, or licensing tangible personal property for storage or use of such property within the city, may obtain a license from the tax collector and collect the use tax on such transactions. Such retailer shall be liable for the use tax to the extent such use tax is collected from his customers.
(3) Every agent within the city of any retailer not maintaining an office or place of business in this city, when such person sells, rents, leases, or licenses tangible personal property for storage or use in this city shall, at the time of such transaction, collect and be liable for the tax imposed by this division upon the storage or use of the property so transferred, unless such retailer or agent is liable for an equivalent excise tax upon the transaction.
(4) Any person who acquires tangible personal property from a retailer located in the city and such person claims to be exempt from the city privilege or use tax at the time of the transaction, and upon which no city privilege tax was charged or paid, when such claim is not sustainable.
(5) Every person storing or using tangible personal property under the conditions of a warranty, maintenance, or service contract.
(Ord. No. 9840, § 5, 5-5-03)