Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) In lieu of or in addition to the issuance of a complaint and summons to appear in court, for violation of this chapter, the city shall also have the authority to abate said nuisance as set forth in SDCL § 21-10-6.
(2) The Code Enforcement Coordinator or Code Enforcement Officer and/or agent that conducted the investigation shall have the authority to employ a contractor to assist with said abatement.
(B) Immediate abatement required in certain cases.
(1) Nuisance cases involving subjects such as, but not limited to, bonfires, campfires, dead animals, undressed hides, depositing filth, spoiled foods, or similar items which are determined by the Code Enforcement Coordinator or Code Enforcement Officer to be an immediate threat to public health and safety shall be abated immediately, unless it is otherwise dictated by the Code Enforcement Coordinator or Code Enforcement Officer of the city.
(3) In the event the violator refuses to comply with the orders of the city, the city may have the nuisance abated immediately at the owner’s expense.
(4) Nothing in this chapter shall be deemed to interfere with the city’s authority to immediately abate a nuisance that has been determined by the city to be an immediate threat to public health and safety.
(Ord. 1.90A, passed 5-15-2014)