Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Manual changeable copy. Up to 50 percent of a permitted ground sign may incorporate manual changeable copy in all non-residential zoning districts or developments and non-residential uses in residential zoning districts as permitted in § 153.459(B)(5).
(B) Electronic sign standards. The following standards apply to all electronic signs within the City of Springdale. Additional standards may apply.
(1) Electronic signs shall conform with the following standards in addition to the other standards set forth in this section:
Height of Sign
Maximum LED Pitch Spacing
Maximum Daytime Brightness
Maximum Nighttime Brightness
Minimum Hold Time
0 ft - 8 ft
9 ft - 25 ft
26 ft - 50 ft
51 ft and taller
These standards do not apply to electronic fuel pricers. Those are regulated in § 153.460(D): Electronic Fuel Price Displays.
(2) Each electronic sign shall contain a default mechanism that will freeze the sign in one position or make the screen go black whenever the aggregate area or any part of the electronic video display panel is unlit or malfunctions to the extent that it exceeds five percent of the total video.
(3) Electronic signs shall have an automatic dimming capability that adjusts the brightness to the ambient light at all times of day and night. In no instance shall the electronic sign cause light trespass onto an adjacent residential district or use.
(4) Each electronic sign shall be static and may not display animated, scrolling, moving, or flashing messages or video which simulates such. Each static message shall change instantaneous without fading, flashing, or animation of the message or image.
(5) Only one electronic sign is allowed per parcel or development unless approved by the Planning Commission.
(6) Electronic message centers shall use full-color LED technology.
(D) Electronic fuel price displays. Electronic fuel price displays, incorporated into the permitted ground or pole sign, may be allowed in the non-residential zoning districts for establishments that sell gasoline or other vehicle fuels provided that the sign complies with the following:
(1) The permitted ground or pole sign associated with gasoline sales may incorporate an electronic fuel price display that shall not exceed 40 percent of the permitted sign area. In no case shall the fuel price display be greater than 40 square feet in area.
(2) Electronic fuel price displays are not permitted on fuel canopies.
(3) Electronic fuel price displays shall use one-color LED technology.
(4) Electronic fuel price displays shall come equipped with automatic dimming capabilities and shall automatically dim to a corresponding reduction in ambient light. In no instance shall the electronic fuel price display cause light trespass onto an adjacent residential district or use.
(5) The electronic fuel price display shall be static and may not display animated, scrolling, moving, or flashing messages or video.
(6) When electronic fuel price displays are being utilized, no additional electronic signage shall be allowed on that subject development.
(Ord. 4-2016, passed 3-2-16; Am. Ord. 24-2019, passed 9-4-19; Am. Ord. 04-2020, passed 1-15-20)