Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It shall be the duty of the Bureau of Fire Prevention to enforce all laws and ordinances covering the following:
(1) The prevention of fires;
(2) The storage and use of explosives and flammables;
(3) The installation and maintenance of automatic and other private fire alarm systems and fire extinguishing equipment;
(4) The maintenance and regulation of fire escapes;
(5) The maintenance of protection and the elimination of hazards in buildings and structures, including those under construction;
(6) The means and adequacy of exit in case of fire from all places in which persons work, live or congregate for any purpose from time to time, including, but not limited to, factories, schools, hotels, lodging houses, apartments, asylums, hospitals, churches, halls, theaters and amphitheaters;
(7) The investigation of the cause, origin and circumstances of fires;
(8) The review of all plans for new construction and remodeling for compliance with appropriate codes; and
(9) Fire safety education for individuals and groups in the City.
(10) The Bureau shall have such powers and perform such other duties as are set forth in other sections of this Code and in other ordinances and as may be conferred and imposed from time to time by law.
(b) This designation of duties shall not relieve any other department, officer or employee of the City of any power or duty conferred upon it or him or her by law or ordinance.