Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Water meter and backflow assembly installation order shall be as follows:
(1) Shutoff valve. Water meter shutoff valve installed immediately preceding the water meter or as close as installation permits.
(2) Water meter. All water meters shall be placed on service lines horizontally with register facing upwards.
(3) Backflow prevention assembly. All city water meters must immediately be followed by an approved backflow preventer.
(4) Pressure reducing valve (PRV). PRV installation is as determined by city utility employee and/or required by code.
(5) Shutoff valve. Water meter shutoff valve installed directly after the backflow preventer and/or PRV.
(b) Water meters installed in locations with nonmetallic supply piping shall be supported directly from the wall or floor to maintain proper support and alignment.
(c) Water meters shall be placed as follows:
(1) Water meters cannot be located above the first or ground floor level under any conditions.
(2) Water meters cannot be installed in confined space locations including, but not limited to, vaults, manholes, pits, or crawlspaces.
(3) Water meters shall be as close to the wall where the service line enters the building as possible while still providing adequate space to allow for installation, removal, maintenance, and reading purposes.
(4) Water meters must be installed between 12 and 60 inches from the floor.
(5) There shall be a minimum of 12 inches clear space above and below the water meter.
(6) There shall be 30 inches of clear space in front of the water meter.
(7) Water meters shall not be installed behind walls or within cabinets.
(8) Water meters shall not be placed in proximity to any wiring, device, appliance, equipment, or any other item which obstructs or limits access to the water meter.
(Ord. 21-21, passed 2-16-2021)