Skip to code content (skip section selection)
ZONING TITLE, PURPOSE AND INTERPRETATION
ZONING TITLE, PURPOSE AND INTERPRETATION
10-1-1: Short Title
10-1-2: Purpose and Intent
10-1-5: Scope of Regulations
10-1-6: Ordinance 0-122 Saving Clause
This Title shall be known, cited and referred to as the SHOREWOOD CROSSROADS ZONING ORDINANCE. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
A. Purpose: This Zoning Title is adopted for the purpose of improving and protecting the public health, safety, comfort, convenience and general welfare of the people. The fulfillment of this purpose is to be accomplished by seeking the following objectives:
1. To lessen congestion on the public streets.
2. To avoid undue concentration of population.
3. To prevent the overcrowding of land, thereby insuring proper living and working conditions and preventing the development of blight and slums.
4. To establish adequate standards for the provision of light, air and open spaces.
5. To facilitate the provision of adequate public services such as transportation, water, sewerage, open space and parks.
6. To zone all properties with a view to conserving the value of buildings and encouraging the most appropriate use of land throughout the Village.
7. To protect all areas alike from harmful encroachment by incompatible uses and to insure that land allocated to a class of uses shall not be usurped by inappropriate uses within the parameters of the standards and requirements of this Title.
8. To avoid the inappropriate development of lands and provide for adequate drainage, curbing or erosion, and reduction of flood damage.
9. To fix reasonable standards to which buildings and structures shall conform.
10. To prevent such additions to and alterations or remodeling of existing buildings or structures as would not comply with the restrictions and limitations imposed herein.
11. To foster a more rational pattern of relationship between residential, business and industrial uses for the mutual benefit of all.
12. To isolate or control the location of unavoidable nuisance-producing uses.
13. To define the powers and duties of the administrative and enforcement officers and bodies.
14. To prescribe penalties for any violation of the provisions of this Title or of any subsequent amendments hereto.
B. Intent: The standards and requirements contained in this Title and the district mapping reflected on the Zoning District Map are intended to implement all elements of the Comprehensive Plan 1 , including the land use component, and the planning policies of the Village. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
A. Minimum Requirements: In their interpretation and application, the provisions of this Title shall be held to be the minimum requirements for the promotion of the public health, safety, comfort, convenience and general welfare.
B. Relationship with Other Laws: Where any contradictory regulations, restrictions or requirements imposed by any provision of this Title upon the use of any land, building, structures or improvements are either more restrictive or less restrictive than restrictions or requirements imposed by any other provision of this Title or any other law of any governmental body having jurisdiction over the subject matter thereof, those restrictions or requirements which are more restrictive shall govern.
C. Affect on Existing Agreements: This Title is not intended to abrogate any easement, covenant or any other private agreement; provided, that where the regulations of this Title are more restrictive or impose higher standards or requirements than such easements, covenants or other private agreements, the requirements of this Title shall govern.
D. Interpretation by Zoning Officer: Where there is any ambiguity or dispute concerning the interpretation of this Title, the decision of the Zoning Officer shall prevail, subject to appeal as provided in Section 10-12-6 of this Title. The Zoning Officer may allow, as permitted use or conditional use, those uses which, though not contained by name in a zoning district list of permitted or conditional uses, he determines to be of the same general character as the listed permitted or conditional uses, subject to approval by the Village Board. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
The several provisions of this Title are separable, as follows:
A. If any court of competent jurisdiction shall adjudge any provision of this Title, or any amendment hereto, to be invalid, such judgment shall not affect any other provisions of this Title not specifically included in said judgment.
B. If any court of competent jurisdiction shall adjudge invalid the application of any provision of this Title, or any amendments hereto, to a particular building, structure or parcel of land, such judgment shall not affect the application of said provision to any other building, structure or parcel of land not specifically included in said judgment. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
A. All buildings or structures erected hereafter, all uses of buildings, structures or land established hereafter and all structural alteration or relation of existing buildings or structures occurring hereafter shall be subject to all regulations of this Title, or any amendment hereto, which are applicable to the zoning districts in which such buildings, structures or parcels of land shall be located.
B. However, where a building permit for a building or structure has been issued in accordance with law prior to the effective date hereof, or any amendment hereto, and provided that construction was begun before the effective date hereof, or any amendment hereto, and completion is accomplished within eighteen (18) months of the adoption of these regulations, or any amendment hereto, said building or structure may be completed in accordance with the approved plans on the basis of which the building permit has been issued, and further, may, upon completion, be occupied for the use for which originally designated, subject hereafter to the provisions of Section 10-3-19 and Chapter 9 of this Title. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
A. The provisions of Ordinance 0-122, as amended, shall be applicable only to territory which is subject to a valid annexation agreement requiring the continued application of Ordinance 0-122.
B. Upon expiration of an annexation agreement for such territory, it shall be subject to the regulation and district classification imposed by this Title.
C. No additional territory shall be made subject to the provisions of Ordinance 0-122, and the Village Board shall, without notice or further public hearing, repeal the provisions of this Section and Ordinance 0-122 at such time as no territory remains subject to the regulations of Ordinance 0-122. (Ord. 93-695, 6-15-93)
1. See Title 9, Chapter 1 of this Code.