Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Wastewater discharges. It shall be unlawful to discharge to the POTW any wastewater except as authorized by the City in accordance with the provisions of this Part, subject to state and federal laws and regulations.
B. Wastewater analysis. When requested by the City, a user must submit information on the nature and characteristics of its wastewater within 90 days of the request. The City is authorized to prepare a form for this purpose and may periodically require users to update this information.
C. Wastewater discharge permit requirement.
(1) No significant industrial user shall discharge wastewater into the POTW without first obtaining a wastewater discharge permit from the City, except that a significant industrial user that has filed a timely application pursuant to § 467-204D of this Part or the previous Ord. No. 61-1984 may continue to discharge for the time period specified therein.
(2) The City may require other users to obtain wastewater discharge permits as necessary to carry out the purposes of this Part.
(3) Any violation of the terms and conditions of a wastewater discharge permit shall be deemed a violation of this Part and subjects the wastewater discharge permittee to the sanctions set out in §§ 467-210 through 467-212 of this Part. Obtaining a wastewater discharge permit does not relieve a permittee of its obligation to comply with all federal and state pretreatment standards or requirements or with any other requirements of federal, state, and local law.
(4) No permit holder shall discharge industrial wastewater in excess of the quantity, rate of discharge, concentrations or any other limits specified in the permit. Any person desiring to modify his or her permit must first apply for an amended permit.
D. Wastewater discharge permitting: existing connections. Any user required to obtain a wastewater discharge permit who was discharging wastewater into the POTW prior to the effective date of this Part, and does not have a permit currently, and who wishes to continue such discharges in the future, shall, within 90 days after said date, apply to the City, for a wastewater discharge permit in accordance with § 467-204F of this Part, and shall not cause or allow discharges to the POTW to continue after 180 days of the effective date of this Part except in accordance with a wastewater discharge permit issued by the City.
E. Wastewater discharge permitting: new connections. Any user required to obtain a wastewater discharge permit who proposes to begin or recommence discharging into the POTW must obtain such permit prior to the beginning or recommencing of such discharge. An application for this wastewater discharge permit, in accordance with § 467-204F of this Part, must be filed at least 90 days prior to the date upon which any discharge will begin or recommence.
F. Wastewater discharge permit application contents. All users required to obtain a wastewater discharge permit must submit a permit application. The City may require all users to submit as part of an application the following information:
(1) All information required by § 467-206A(1) of this Part.
(2) Description of activities, facilities, and plant processes on the premises, including a list of all raw materials and chemicals used or stored at the facility which are, or could accidentally or intentionally be, discharged to the POTW.
(3) Number of employees, hours of operation, and proposed or actual hours of operation.
(4) Each product produced by type, amount, process or processes, and rate of production.
(5) Type and amount of raw materials processed (average and maximum per day).
(6) Site plans, floor plans, mechanical and plumbing plans, and details to show all sewers, floor drains, and appurtenances by size, location, and elevation, and all points of discharge and pretreatment system plans.
(7) Time and duration of discharges.
(8) Wastewater constituents and characteristics. Sampling and analysis shall be performed in accordance with § 304(g) of the Act and 40 CFR, Part 136, as amended.
(9) The name and concentration of any pollutants in the discharge, the number of sampling events shall be determined by the City; and a written statement as to whether or not applicable pretreatment standards are being met, and if not, whether additional in-plant modification and additional pretreatment is required for the user to meet such applicable pretreatment standards.
(10) If additional pretreatment or in-plant modification will be required to meet the pretreatment standards, the user will provide a schedule by which to achieve the standards in a timely manner. The schedule will be reported as the pretreatment compliance schedule. The following conditions shall apply to this schedule:
(a) The schedule shall contain increments of progress in the form of dates for the commencement and completion of major events leading to the construction and operation of additional pretreatment required for the user to meet the applicable pretreatment standards (e.g., hiring an engineer, completing preliminary plans, executing contracts for major components, commencing construction, completing construction). No increment shall exceed nine months.
(b) Not later than 14 days following each completion date in the schedule, the user shall submit a progress report to the City including, at a minimum, whether or not he or she complied with the increments of progress. If such increment of progress was not completed on time, the user shall also report the date on which he or she expects to complete the increment of progress, the reason for the delay, and the steps being taken by the user to return to the schedule established. In no event shall completion dates be more than nine months apart.
(11) Information on the disposal of substances to the POTW which are considered hazardous under 40 CFR, Part 261.
(12) Signatory requirements.
(13) Applicable fees.
(14) Any other information as may be deemed necessary by the City to evaluate the wastewater discharge permit application. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be processed and will be returned to the user for revision.
G. Application signatories and certification. All wastewater discharge permit applications, user reports and inspection reports must be signed by an authorized representative of the user and contain the following certification statement:
"I certify under penalty of law that this document and all attachments were prepared under my direction or supervision in accordance with a system designed to assure that qualified personnel properly gather and evaluate the information submitted. Based on my inquiry of the person or persons who manage the system, or those persons directly responsible for gathering the information, the information submitted is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, true, accurate, and complete. I am aware that there are significant penalties for submitting false information, including the possibility of fine and imprisonment for knowing violations."
H. Wastewater discharge permit decisions.
(1) The City shall evaluate the data furnished by the user and may require additional information. Based on the application, the City may issue a wastewater discharge permit subject to the terms and conditions enumerated in the permit.
(2) The City may deny a request for a permit when the information supplied indicates the user will be unable to reasonably meet the City's standards. Any person denied a permit may request a hearing in accordance with the provisions of § 467-212G.