Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The powers of the plan commission are as follows:
A. To prepare and recommend to the village president and board a comprehensive plan for the present and future development or redevelopment of the village. Such plan may be developed in whole or in separate geographical or functional parts, each of which, when adopted, shall be the official comprehensive plan, or part thereof, of the village. This plan may include reasonable requirements with reference to streets, alleys, public grounds and other improvements hereinafter specified. The plan, as recommended by the plan commission and as thereafter adopted by ordinance, may be made applicable, by the terms thereof, to land situated within the corporate limits and contiguous territory not more than one and one-half (11/2) miles beyond the corporate limits and not included in any municipality. The plan commission may implement such plan by recommending such ordinances:
1. Establish reasonable standards of design for subdivisions and for resubdivisions of unimproved land and of areas subject to redevelopment in respect to public improvements as herein defined;
2. Establish reasonable requirements governing the location, width, course and surfacing of public streets and highways, alleys, ways for public service facilities, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, streetlights, parks, playgrounds, school grounds, size of lots to be used for residential purposes, stormwater drainage, water supply and distribution, sanitary sewers and sewage collection and treatment; and
3. May designate land suitable for annexation to the village and the recommended zoning classification for such land upon annexation.
B. To recommend changes, from time to time, in the official comprehensive plan 1 .
C. To review all annexation petitions submitted to the village pursuant to section 7-1-8 of the Illinois municipal code, 65 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/7-1-8 ("7-1-8 annexation"), in accordance with the following standards and procedures:
1. The owner or owners of territory that is not within the corporate limits of the village but that is contiguous to the corporate limits of the village may submit a written petition for annexation of such territory into the village. The annexation petition must comply with the requirements of 65 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/7-1-8. Any 7-1-8 annexation petition submitted to the village shall be referred to the plan commission for review prior to consideration by the board of trustees.
2. The plan commission shall consider the petition and make a recommendation to the village president and board of trustees as to whether the territory identified in the petition should be annexed into the village.
3. No 7-1-8 annexation shall be approved except in conjunction with the village board's approval of an annexation agreement. Any such annexation agreement shall be considered by the village board pursuant to the procedures and voting requirements set forth in 65 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/11-15.1.
4. If the village board votes to deny a 7-1-8 annexation, the village board shall not consider a substantially similar 7-1-8 annexation petition for the annexation of the same territory for a period of two (2) years following the denial.
5. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this subsection, the village board of trustees, by a simple majority vote, may waive any or all of the requirements in subsections C1, C2, C3, and C4 of this subsection for any 7-1-8 annexation that seeks annexation of vacant property or property that is used solely for commercial purposes. (Ord. G-104, 5-27-1969; Ord. G-995, 3-26-2013)
1. See section 1-13-1 of this code adopting the comprehensive plan.