Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: This Title is adopted to the end that:
1. Adequate natural light, pure air and safety from fire and other dangers may be secured.
2. Value of land and structures throughout the Village may be conserved.
3. Congestion in the public streets may be lessened or avoided.
4. Hazards to persons and damage to property resulting from the accumulation or runoff of storm or flood waters may be lessened or avoided.
5. Aesthetic values throughout the Village may be preserved and enhanced.
6. Public health, safety, comfort, morals, convenience and general welfare may otherwise be promoted.
B. Intent: To achieve these ends, this Title sets forth regulations and standards to:
1. Regulate and limit the height and bulk of structures hereafter erected.
2. Establish, regulate and limit setback lines along streets.
3. Regulate and limit the intensity of the use of lot areas, and to regulate and determine the area of open spaces within the surrounding structures.
4. Classify, regulate and restrict the location of trades and industries and the location of structures designed for industrial, business, residential and other specified uses.
5. Divide the entire Village into districts of such number, shape, area and of such different classes as may be suitable.
6. Prohibit structures or uses incompatible with the character of such districts.
7. Fix standards to which structures therein shall conform.
8. Prevent additions to, and alteration or remodeling of, exiting structures in such a way as to avoid the restrictions and limitations lawfully imposed under this Title.
9. Provide for the gradual elimination of structures and uses which are incompatible with the character of the districts in which they are located.
10. Define and limit the powers and duties of the administrative officers and bodies as provided in this Title.
11. Prescribe penalties for the violation of the provisions of this Title, or of any amendment thereto. (Ord. G-60, 3-22-1966)