Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Signs shall be designed, erected, altered, reconstructed, moved and maintained, in whole or in part, in accordance with the type, design, size, location, illumination and other provisions set forth in this chapter.
(b) The construction, erection, safety and maintenance of all signs shall be in accordance with the Building and Housing Code of the City. The provisions of this chapter shall not amend or in any way interfere with other codes, rules or regulations governing traffic signs within the City.
(c) Whenever there is a conflict between provisions of this chapter and other applicable ordinances or resolutions, the more restrictive provision shall govern.
(d) The following categories of signs are exempt from and shall not be governed by the provisions of this chapter:
(1) Display of official public notices;
(2) Flags of any nation or any temporary or permanent City flag;
(3) Emblems or insignia of an official governmental body;
(4) Safety signs for maintenance or repairs of streets, sidewalks or public utilities;
(5) Temporary signs in connection with a recognized school event, charity event or homecoming activity;
(6) Window displays, such as merchandise located in a window, provided that all window signs are not exempt from these regulations;
(7) Scoreboards on athletic fields;
(8) Religious symbols;
(10) Commemorative plaques; and
(11) Any display or construction not classified or defined in this chapter as a sign.
(Ord. 1988-175. Passed 10-17-88.)