Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Buildings and land shall be used, and buildings shall be designed, erected, altered, moved or maintained, in whole or in part, in General Business Districts only for the following uses. Residential uses shall not be permitted. However, dwellings existing within the District on the effective date of this Zoning Code may continue to be used in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 1286.
(a) Main Buildings and Uses Permitted.
(1) Offices, stores, services and other use classifications as permitted in Local Business Districts.
(2) Additional retail business stores and services conducted wholly within enclosed buildings and devoted to supplying the retail business needs of the community to the following extent:
A. Retail sales.
1. The sale of all food; frozen food lockers;
2. The sale and serving of all beverages, and eating places of all types, including those with dancing and live entertainment; places selling and serving alcoholic beverages, State liquor stores and drive-in establishments, if a conditional use permit is granted by the Planning Commission in accordance with the standards set forth in Section 1262.07;
3. The sale of all general merchandise and dry goods; variety and department stores;
4. The sale of all hardware, appliances, china, furniture, floor and wall coverings, business equipment, music, radios and televisions, provided that no loudspeakers broadcast onto the street;
5. The sale of bicycles, motorcycles, boats, outboard motors, sport and athletic equipment and pet shops;
6. Wholesale offices and show rooms, with storage limited to samples; and
7. Automotive sales and services; repair and service garages and used automotive sales lots only if accessory and immediately adjacent to buildings used for the sale of new motor vehicles.
1. Custom work shops for the making of articles to be sold only at retail on the premises;
2. Personal service establishments;
3. Photographic developing, blueprinting, letter printing, job and newspaper printing, radio and television stations, transmittal towers, telephone exchanges and utility distribution substations;
4. Bus passenger stations and taxi stations;
5. Amusement and recreational services, such as assembly and meeting halls, billiard halls, bowling alleys, dance halls, indoor theaters, ice and roller skating rinks, and other social, fraternal, sport or recreational establishments, provided that they are conducted within an enclosed building and are sufficiently sound insulated to confine the noise to the premises; and
(3) Retail sales and services in open yards shall be permitted to the following extent: automotive sales of new and used motor vehicles, provided that the operation is in connection with a new car sales agency located on an immediately adjacent lot, that all vehicles and advertising are located behind the minimum front yard setback and that the front yard is landscaped and maintained attractively, and provided, further, that applicable requirements of Section 1276.09 are met.
(b) Similar Main Uses Permitted. Any general business store, shop or service not listed above or in any subsequent use classification and determined as similar by the Planning Commission in accordance with the standards set forth in Section 1262.08.
(c) Accessory Uses Permitted. Any accessory use, such as the enclosed storage of goods or processing operations, which is clearly incidental to conducting a retail business, office or service establishment or other permitted main use, provided that such an accessory use has no injurious effect on adjoining Residential Districts.
(1) Accessory off-street parking and loading facilities as required in Chapter 1282.
(2) Business, professional nameplate, directional, real estate and project signs, subject to the regulations set forth in Chapter 1284.
(Ord. 1988-173. Passed 10-17-88.)
(d) Conditional Uses Permitted. On parcels in the general area west of York Road, north of State Route 82 and south of Wallings Road, having frontage on York Road, office buildings only are permitted to heights of sixty-five feet, provided that the General Business zoned parcel(s) are of sufficient lot size to fulfill the requirements set forth in Section 1276.09(a) (footnotes (b) and (c)), and provided that all other building criteria required by this Zoning Code are met and provided that a conditional use permit is granted in accordance with the standards set forth in Section 1262.07.
(Ord. 96-163. Passed 10-15-96; Ord. 15-95. Passed 11-4-15.)